does home depot carry lye?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

punkflash54

Reaction score
in one of my last posts, someone told me i could get lye at lowes in the plumbing section but i dont have a lowes close to me. there is a home depot though...does anyone know if home depot carries lye? thanks

I'm not sure. At first, I bought the Roebic Heavy Duty Crystals from Lowe's. It is 100% sodium hydroxide. Look for it at Home Depot now. I'm glad I'm sitting on 80 pounds stored in 5 gallon HDPE buckets with the sealed, locking air/moisture tight lids. I buy 50 pounds at a time, sometimes 100 pounds at a time. I should start selling it. :lol:

Paul.... :wink:

wow...that is alot of lye. i buy soy wax 100 pounds at a time to make candles...but i guess thats alil different than lye lol im going to home depot tomorrow to look for it.

I dunno about Home Depot but Lowes has it and I get mine at Tractor Supply Store. I have heard Ace has the Rooto brand as well but havent checked.

Home Depot doesnt have it, Here where I live, But Lowes does.

My Home Depot don't have it either. They don't even carry hydrochloric acid.

Edco. How is the price at Tractor Supply, and what brand do they carry?

Not every Lowes carries lye. The one in my city doesn't and won't. I use AAA and have never had a problem.

i just made it out to home depot between snow storms lol and they had lye in the plumbing section! They had the Roebic Crystal Drain Opener! I'm excited! and its like perfect weather too....its snowing really bad so i dont want to leave my apartment. I'm going to make some soap! :)

punkflash54 said:
i just made it out to home depot between snow storms lol and they had lye in the plumbing section! They had the Roebic Crystal Drain Opener! I'm excited! and its like perfect weather too....its snowing really bad so i dont want to leave my apartment. I'm going to make some soap! :)

Way to go, you never know until you look. Where one Home Depot may not have it, in another part of the country they might. It just depends on region and meth heads. :x

Paul.... :wink:

NameThatCandy said:
I got mine at Ace, it is 32oz bottle for less than $4.

I was so excited when I found it, coz I don't need to order online.

wow...thats such a good deal! I got a 32oz container at Home Depot and it was almost 8 dollars!

punkflash54 I'm glad you found some lye close by. :D

I chanced to be driving by a Lowe's the other day and decided to run in and purchase some as I'm getting low. I bought 4 containers of the stuff, so I should be OK for awhile. I don't make anywhere near as much soap as Paul does. :lol:

Just made my first batch ever of soap today with some Roebic lye from Lowe's. It's in the mold right now, and I hope it turns out well.

The Roebic lye was $7.83 for a 32 oz bottle. :D

You guys that can purchase it locally are very lucky. I use to be able to buy it here but now no store carries it and I've checked.

AAA chemical

I can confirm too that AAA are nice to deal with. I just bought 50 lbs from them.

I pay $5.25 for a 16oz container at ACE hardware here. The town I live in is SO small everything is expensive here! I only go into the big town every other week or so for "stock up" shopping. I need to get it in town next time.

I'm so jealous of people who can buy it locally... I live in a VERY strong meth area, and it's impossible to get.

Latest posts

Back