Does fragrance oil/additives count as a part of total oils?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

MrWalker1750

Reaction score
It seems like an easy simple question and may be.

I'm making a fairly large batch of soap and I will be adding about 4 ounces of fragrance oil (vanilla buttercream 15% vanillin) + 4 ounces of vanilla stabilizer + a couple tablespoons of sodium lactate. Also adding a couple tablespoons of kaolin clay.

That just seems like a lot of liquid to add and I'm wondering if it changes anything in the soap make up in the end.

It may not and I might just be overthinking. But I thought I'd ask. Thank you

dixiedragon

Reaction score
Nope. Total oils means fats - olive oil, coconut oil, etc.

Post your recipe and the experts can tell you if it's too much. Never used vanilla stabilizer or sodium lactate myself so I can't help you.

cmzaha

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vanilla stabilizer is a waste of money in cp, in fact even in m&p it only keeps it from discoloring for a short time. As mentioned ^^ it is not counted as your oils. When using a dark discoloring fo it is better to seperate off some of your initial batter and not add in fo to use if you want to swirl. What I like to do is pour off batter for 3 swirls, add td to one and a little fo in two of the others (different amount in each of the two) then add the balance of the fo to the main batter batch.

IrishLass

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
When I use vanilla stabilizer, I decrease my water amount a little bit....... for example instead of my usual 33% lye concentration (1 part lye to 2 parts water), I'll nudge my lye concentration to 36% (1 part lye to 1.75% water).

I also use sodium lactate in my batches, but I don't adjust for that.

RE: vanilla stabilizer: It can be hit or miss, depending on the FO and how much vanillin is in it, but I just wanted to mention that I've actually had very good success with mine so far. I use the stabilizer from BCN and I add it directly to my oils (instead of mixing it with the FO). The FO that I use it with is Santa's Pipe from SweetCakes. Without it, my soap turns a medium tan/light brown, but with the stabilizer my soap stays stark white for a year and a half . I like to color it white with red and black swirls, and that's how it stays for me until it gets closer to the 2 year mark. By that time, the white part starts morphing to a light beige.

I recently used the stabilizer with a different FO, but it's too soon yet to report any final results. It's still stark white right now after a few months, but I want to see how holds up a year down the road.

IrishLass :)