Does fatty ratio affect scent retention?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello!

I’ve been researching how to get my fragrances to last in my soaps past curing. The results are still out on kaolin clay. I’m just about settled on the fact it’s a matter of trial and error and buying from quality suppliers. But during my research, I came across a few comments here that gave me pause.

One comment mentioned someone’s recipe could be the culprit as to why a fragrance isn’t lasting. Another mentioned a recipe higher in saturated fats would slow down evaporation of the fragrance oil and another comment said that higher olive oil can affect scent retention.

My question is can affect scent retention? I learned from somewhere that a balanced recipe is a 40:60 split, saturated vs unsaturated. What factors equate a balanced recipe? Or is it up to the wants and needs of the soap maker?

Sorry for the rambling in advance.

Thanks

Hi Calico! This is just my opinion based on what I've noticed with scent-retention in my own soap formulas, but I've found the only common denominator for scent retention has not been any of my formulas, but instead the actual FO itself. In other words, some FOs just don't have any sticking power no matter what the soap formula.

IrishLass :)

Hi Calico! This is just my opinion based on what I've noticed with scent-retention in my own soap formulas, but I've found the only common denominator for scent retention has not been any of my formulas, but instead the actual FO itself. In other words, some FOs just don't have any sticking power no matter what the soap formula.

IrishLass :)

Hi IrishLass!

Thank you for your input. This was my assumption as well but I wanted to make sure I wasn't unaware of something important. This puts me at ease. Now I get to have fun testing fragrances :).

Latest posts

Back