Does EDTA make a soap feel less harsh?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have made soap with a hardness level of 60, cleansing #27, conditioning only 35, bubbly 32, creamy 38, INS 179. I added EDTA for the first time ever, and although I only made it a few days ago, it does not feel very harsh to me. (I usually feel the need to use hand cream shortly after washing my hands with commercial soap)
**I had not realized that the beef tallow was a much higher percentage compared to canola in my mixed shortening**
Any ideas of whether this soap could possibly not be harsh, and whether it is okay for children to use?

Tetrasodium EDTA acts as a chelator in soap so it binds up minerals making it less prone to DOS and helps it lather better in hard water and helps lessen soap scum in both the bath and on the skin. I have never found it to make the soap any more less stripping. Many times what people feel is actually soap scum on their skin. Soap is really less or more stripping of our natural oils. I personally would not use a soap with the cleansing value of 27 but that can depend on your superfat. I superfat at 1-2% and keep my cleansing value at 10-17 with 15 my average number.

I am sure DeeAnna or someone will show up and explain this better than I. I will mention Tallow will raise your cleansing number.

Tetrasodium EDTA acts as a chelator in soap so it binds up minerals making it less prone to DOS and helps it lather better in hard water and helps lessen soap scum in both the bath and on the skin. I have never found it to make the soap any more less stripping. Many times what people feel is actually soap scum on their skin. Soap is really less or more stripping of our natural oils. I personally would not use a soap with the cleansing value of 27 but that can depend on your superfat. I superfat at 1-2% and keep my cleansing value at 10-17 with 15 my average number.

I am sure DeeAnna or someone will show up and explain this better than I. I will mention Tallow will raise your cleansing number.
Thank you. I used the 5% super fat, and my ingredients ended up being 57% beef tallow, only 3% canola oil, almost 6% castor oil, and 33% coconut oil. Nice and hard for the detailed molds I used, but sadly much less conditioning than I would have wanted.

. Many times what people feel is actually soap scum on their skin.
This was my initial thought when I read the post. It probably felt more slippery and not "squeaky clean" like you are used to getting with hard water.

In my experience, EDTA will make cleansing formulas more effective, so in your case it might cause slightly drier skin over time.

For me, a formula with cleansing of 27% along with conditioning of only 35% and just a 5% superfat would be very drying to my skin indeed, and I'm one of those that can tolerate a higher % of cleansing than what many on the forum can tolerate. For what it's worth, through much 'trial-and-error' experimentation in my early soaping days (which every soaper will need to do for themselves according to their own skin type, since everyone's skin type is different) I found that I and my family are able to go as high as 21% on the cleansing just as long as the conditioning is no lower than 50%....with a superfat of at least 5%. If the cleansing number is higher than 21%, I need to increase my superfat.

I use EDTA in every batch, and I've not ever found it to make a high cleansing formula feel less cleansing to my skin.

IrishLass :)

For me, a formula with cleansing of 27% along with conditioning of only 35% and just a 5% superfat would be very drying to my skin indeed, and I'm one of those that can tolerate a higher % of cleansing than what many on the forum can tolerate. For what it's worth, through much 'trial-and-error' experimentation in my early soaping days (which every soaper will need to do for themselves according to their own skin type, since everyone's skin type is different) I found that I and my family are able to go as high as 21% on the cleansing just as long as the conditioning is no lower than 50%....with a superfat of at least 5%. If the cleansing number is higher than 21%, I need to increase my superfat.

I use EDTA in every batch, and I've not ever found it to make a high cleansing formula feel less cleansing to my skin.

Thank you. Just wondering, if you (accidently) made a harsher soap like this -what would you do with it? Rebatch it, or get rid of it? Or, use it anyway? lol...new to soap making and having a hard time to decide!

Ditto what Carolyn said^^^^ Whenever I've made harsher soaps that no one wants to use, I shred it up with a cheese grater and use the shreds of soap confetti in a more conditioning formula.

Ditto what Carolyn said^^^^ Whenever I've made harsher soaps that no one wants to use, I shred it up with a cheese grater and use the shreds of soap confetti in a more conditioning formula.

Wah, sounds like a good solution... but look how nice it all looked! hanger swirl soaps.jpg hard pink swirl soaps.jpg

Well... You can keep em n store them for a long time and see if they'll end up being less harsh after several months. Might mellow down a bit for kitchen hand soap or something like that. I wouldn't use it on kids though..

Gorgeous!!
Keep a couple bars. You can think of them as part of your lather library, something to reference as you develop your recipes. Shred or chop the rest as suggested to make a new pretty soap.
What did you use for the blue? Love that color ♡

I would give them a good cure and see how you like it. I'm another one who can use a higher cleansing number with a 5% SF. Though 33% CO would be a bit much for me. Your soaps turned out very nicely.

Gorgeous!!
Keep a couple bars. You can think of them as part of your lather library, something to reference as you develop your recipes. Shred or chop the rest as suggested to make a new pretty soap.
What did you use for the blue? Love that color ♡
Thanks. I will keep a couple, and in fact will try some out too...I am curious as to how they will affect my skin. I think it was sky blue mica that made the blue, as well as titanium dioxide. I did chop and shred some of them and will include the pic! I am happy with my confetti soap...first time making it. (with milder main soap of course.)

Attachments

• confetti4.jpg
    confetti4.jpg
    281 KB · Views: 10

Latest posts

Back