Does different levels of trace result in different hardening times?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karyn

Reaction score
I've been playing with my new to me slab molds and when I 'poured' my first one I was at a fairly thick trace.

I thought I'd back off of the second slab mold so I could get a level pour into the mold. This batch was at light trace and poured really nicely.

The difference between the 2 (only made 1 day apart) on 3/3 and 3/4 is pretty noticeable. The bars poured at a thinner trace are softer and even ever so slightly darker color (no coloring added to either batch - they're natural).

This doesn't seem like it should be normal. Has anyone experienced something like this?

Thank you!

If you're sure it's the exact same recipe.... My completely non scientific guess would be that, since it's a soleseife which hardens very fast for me in general, thicker trace might mean the saponification process fast forwarded somewhat and might seem harder at the onset. The other one will catch up I'm sure.

Or maybe ambient temps were different?

Now let's wait for more knowledgeable guesses lol

Pretty sure in the back of my.mind somewhere I've read one of the soap scientists here say that pouring at emulsion can increase time to unmould

Thickness of trace can affect how long it takes to unmold/cut, but the end/cured result will be the same if using the same recipe/additives.

Latest posts

Back