Does clay affect soap odor?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lyma

Reaction score
Hi to everyone,
I've recently made two castille batches, adding red clay and a mix of essential oils. I've noticed that after cutting the soap, i can hardly smell the essential oils. There is a kind of odor but not relative to the e.o. i've added (lavender, patchouli, rosemary).
I use a similar fragrance in another recipe with pink clay and smells great and clearly.

Can the red clay affect the odor of the soap, and somehow overcome the smell of the fragrance?

I made an unscented soap using bentonite clay and the odor was very earthy. It stands to reason that depending on the type and amount of EO you used, the clay could overpower it.

Last edited:
Ive been making soaps with clay this weekend, and they seem to hold the scent better than soaps without clay. How much and what EO's did you use? I've been using about .5-.75 ounces of EO per pound of soap.

I used 2% of the oils. It's true that the clay has left its scent and probably serves as an anchor. My problem is that the final scent is quite different than the test without clay. It seems that i must change the essential oil mix or i have to remove the clay.

Latest posts

Back