Does citrus fade in liquid soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carl

Reaction score
We know that citrus has a tenancy to fade over time in Cold Process bar soaps.

Does this also hold true when adding citrus EOs (Lemon, Orange 10x, Grapefruit, Lemongrass) to Liquid soap?

LOL Well said, DeeAnna!

Good question, Carl!
While DeeAnna is correct (generally speaking), I used my BLIMEY! EO blend in one of the first liquid soaps I ever made and it holds up quite well. Adding Litsea Cubeba EO to a citrus blend can help "stick" the scent. Plus this one has the advantage of EOs that are said to shoo germs away. I also use this blend as a sub for lemon or lime in other non-citrus blends. :thumbs:

Zany's BLIMEY! EO blend:
1 part Lemon (25%)
1 part Litsea Cubeba (25%)
2 parts Lime (50%)

The "parts" can be anything you want to use, volume measures like teaspoons, or by weight like grams. 100 grams (approx. 3.5 oz) is ideal for making up a batch. 100 grams = 100%

Another trick for citrus blends is to add an FO to the EO. For example, I'm test driving BB's Grapefruit Lily FO right now, which is quite nice. My nose likes it! Now I'm thinking I might like to try it with some Pink Grapefruit EO I have on hand.

HTH
Wave.gif

Last edited:
Really? How long of a time frame are we talking about? I save the citrus essential oils just for liquid soap. They still smell bright and fresh after 4 months. (paste was diluted, scented, bottled, and stored in a dark cool place until used)

ETA proper punctuation!

Last edited:
Mine will stay longer, but I tend to choose scent for my liquid soap randomly and with little warning. But I still buy citrus EOs, and use them frequently in LS. But not litsea, never found it did any good, and it changes those clear, bright scents into something...less. I buy mine from Piping Rock or WSP.

I've not had great luck with citrus EOs in soap, whether it's liquid or bar. After 2-3 months, citrus fades badly for me. I think it's reasonable to expect a scent to last at least that long.

Yeah, mine lasts much longer than that in liquid soap. But it only started doing so when I changed retailer. My current soap was lost in a box from the move, so 8 months and counting with a good strong lemon scent.

Latest posts

Back