Does Castile Soap Really Take That Long to Harden?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't ask for it but, thanks for the education.

DeeAnna is right. I didn't include the KOH to promote hardness and I never meant to imply that. At 5% KOH I don't see any discernible effect on hardness either way. There may very well be a measurable effect. I just can't detect it. In my limited experience, KOH does seem to help with lather which is why I use it.

I don't sell my soap. So, I'm not concerned with the legality of calling it castile soap. I included the recipe to make sure I was being clear about what I was working with. I'm fine with not calling it castile. Given the way the discussion veered into what castile is, I doubt I'll call any soap I make castile in the future.

@MickeyRat I think you should call it what you want. Others have done it, are doing it, and will be doing it in the future.

Personally, and in my humble opinion, if the olive oil is close enough to 100% of it I'm fine with calling it a Castile. If someone sells theirs, maybe they should state if theirs is 100% olive oil or not. If you don't sell, call it whatever you like.

The ones I made took time to harden. I think because I made them in individual cavity molds, not a loaf. My salt bars took time as well, when others who made in loaves all say it takes just a few hours. Maybe the ones you saw were made individually too? Mine took four days.

"...I didn't include the KOH to promote hardness and I never meant to imply that...."

You didn't imply that at all, Mickey. It was someone else.

"...At 5% KOH I don't see any discernible effect on hardness either way. ..."

That's been my experience too.

Latest posts

Back