Does brewed coffee 'do' anything?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrsSpaceship

Reaction score
I find myself kind of wishing for a question of the day thread because I sometimes feel silly starting a new thread for some of my just out of curiosity questions that pop into my mind, but I regress.
Brewed Coffee, what does it bring to the party?
I love a good cuppa as much as the next person and want to use that last bit in the pot for some soap. I've seen people replace their full water with it, so I'm thinking there's some wonderful benefit that I'm missing, but I've been unable to find anything definitive in my research. The scent doesn't carry, the caffeine is negligible if that, and it seems like quite a process just for color.
So, what if anything, does brewed coffee bring to the table? I'm fine if there isn't really anything, I'm just curious.

The only thing I find it brings is dark brown lather lol. I never bother using brewed coffee anymore, at most I will use grounds if I want a scrubby soap for handwashing.

I made mine unscented and I don't know if it is just the extra high CO amount that does it or the coffee itself, but it is very good at getting bad smells from my hands, like when I've been cooking with garlic. Many people say that the coffee helps reduce odours, which is why I used it for a kitchen/garden soap.

I still have to find out what it does. 2 more weeks, I can use my first coffee batch. I'm hoping that little bit of the caffeine in my super strong brew survived the lye, but will wait and see.

I have only just made my first bars recently so I can't speak for results (I my bars ended up looking like puffed wheat not coffee... I posed the same questions and the general opinion was that it was for label appeal only and didn't seem to do anything...even those that added additional caffeine in powder form felt it did nothing to the soap itself. My sister is a coffee ho and I was making it more as a silly holiday gift, I found a really cool mold for it (top is the manufacturers pic, below is mine after 2 days still to light...I used very strong coffee and added powdered espresso...next time (today) I will add cocoa.

001.jpg

005.jpg

rparrny, your soap looks delicious! Just like some puffed rice goodies that my mom used to make when I was young. She made this caramel fudgy kind of sauce, tossed in puffed rice (because there was no nutritional value to the crispy kind) and formed them into balls. Kind of like a rice krispy treat...only without marshmallows. I need to call my dad and see if I can get my hands on moms cookbook.

V, you'll have to share your test results.

I think I'll be sparing myself the hassle and just drink my coffee for now. Thanks everyone.

rparrny, your soap looks delicious
Thank you but not even close to what I was hoping for. Made a second batch today with more coffee and some black cocoa to darken it up. It looks black but it's really dark brown. Hope this one looks more like the manufacturers pic...

002.jpg

001.jpg

003.jpg

Latest posts

Back