Does anyone want to help experiment with vegan 'lard' soap?

Discussion in 'Lye-Based Soap Forum' started by szaza, Jul 15, 2019.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Aug 7, 2019 #21

dibbles

dibbles

dibbles

Supporting Member Supporting Member

@Ladka it would be interesting to see if you find that there is a difference in the lards in soap. Keep us posted :)

Ladka and szaza like this.
  2. Aug 8, 2019 #22

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Supporting Member

I’m going to be making lard soap this weekend, too :). I have some lard in the freezer that I brought back from my early summer trip to Vermont. Maybe I will be inspired by @Ladka and go ahead and render it. Or maybe not, because it’s leaf lard from around the kidneys and I could use it to make pie instead. I like pie :).

Cellador, Ladka and szaza like this.
  3. Aug 8, 2019 #23

Gaisy59

Gaisy59

Gaisy59

Supporting Member

:nodding:

Mobjack Bay likes this.
  4. Aug 8, 2019 #24

Ladka

Ladka

Ladka

Off the topic a bit: I'm interested in this pie, have never heard of it. I only found recipes for cookies and doughnuts using kidney lard. Can you please write the recipe for the pie, perhaps in private mail (Conversations) or in another thread if this one is not appropriate,

5. Aug 8, 2019 #25

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Supporting Member

I sent you a message!

6. Sep 11, 2019 #26

szaza

szaza

szaza

Hmmm I see I've neglected this thread a bit, so here's an update!
    A few days after making the original lard-replacement recipe I got inspiration for another recipe (same approach, different oils) so those who exchanged got 2 small pieces. They're easily distinguishable as the first batch is a bit yellowish (I think both because of the oils used and because there was some orange in the eo blend I used).
    They both traced quickly, though the second batch seemed to be a tad slower. I'm getting really curious what makes lard such a slow tracing oil, as I'm pretty sure it's not the FA profile.
    One of the soaps of the second batch got a hint of dos, so I'm watching it like a hawk. Haven't seen it on the other soaps so I hope it was a one-off:(
    There are several people participating in the exchange, because I wanted to have input from different soapers who regularly use lard. I don't think I know exactly what to look for in a soap that makes it feel like lard.
    I met @Ladka and @dibbles in person and we exchanged soaps already, so I have 2 home-rendered lard soaps (leaf lard and regular lard) from ladka and one commercial lard soap from dibbles to compare (plus some beautiful soaps with more balanced lard recipes). I'm sending small testers to @Hennyfer and @Mobjack Bay and if all goes well, I'll also get a small tester from Mobjack Bay.
    I'm really surprised there's so much difference between the different types of lard, even with the same recipe! So I did end up with a bunch of lard soap, but that's ok, I'm learning a lot from trying out different types.

Ladka and Dawni like this.