Does anyone want to help experiment with vegan 'lard' soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

szaza

Reaction score
Hey all,

As a lifelong vegetarian handling pig fat pretty much grosses me out. At the same time everyone's euforia about how amazing lard soap is also made me curious to know what all the fuss is about! I'm especially curious if it would be possible to imitate the lather of lard soap by mimicking the fatty acid profile with vegetarian/vegan oils. I've come up with an oil blend that almost perfectly resembles the fatty acid profile of lard soap and I'm planning on trying to soap with it soon. The problem is, to really know if it's any good I'd need to compare it to an actual lard soap and I'd also love to get the opinion of an experienced lard soaper..
So my question is, is there anyone who would like to do some sort of swap.. we'd make the same high lard recipe, I was thinking of 20% CO, 80% lard and 3% SF and after cure we exchange a small piece so we can both compare the two soaps.
When answering, please consider I live in Belgium. I can send a small +- 50g/2oz piece of soap around the world for really cheap (though it might take a month to arrive) so I don't mind doing an international swap, but it would probably be easier to stay within Europe..

I am in Canada, but the soaps I have been making fit your profile and it would be fun to trade! I am not currently soaping but some of the soaps I have are 80% lard, 20% CO with 5% superfat (I went with the default setting). I may have one that is a little lower sf due to slight over weight of lye but I'm sure you would get a fair estimate of how the soap performs either way. :)

Unfortunately tere aren't as many handmade soapmakers here as there seem to be on the other side of the pond. Also, most handmade soap is sold in very trendy 'natural living' shops and is vegan (most of the time only olive and coconut oil). Haven't found any soapers in my neighborhood who make lard soap, so I thought I'd try to look on smf [emoji6]
There's nowhere in Belgium you can just buy lard soap from a fellow soaper at a store, farmer's market, or online (local)? The soap might be cheaper than swapping and paying for postage. Just a thought...
@Hennyfer the recipe was just a suggestion, I don't mind switching to 5% SF[emoji6] that's why I posted before actually making the soap. I'd love to trade[emoji16] I'll pm you.

I’m always game to experiment if you don’t get enough localish participants. There’s a type of lard I can get at the local grocery store that does not have added preservatives. It’s from Smithfield, which is a large, well known producer of pork products in the US. The qualities of the lard seem different from the other brand I’ve been using (Snow Cap). In particular, it seems less firm (perhaps it has a higher % of Oleic FAs?).

The qualities of the lard seem different from the other brand I’ve been using (Snow Cap). In particular, it seems less firm (perhaps it has a higher % of Oleic FAs?).

Is the stuff from Smithfield partially hydrogenated? Seems like most of the lard at the store has some hydrogenated lard added to the rest in order to make it a bit more firm.

Is the stuff from Smithfield partially hydrogenated? Seems like most of the lard at the store has some hydrogenated lard added to the rest in order to make it a bit more firm.

Below are the labels from the packaging. The Morrell Snow Cap lard is “lard with hydrogenated lard,” which I had not noticed before. The Smithfield lard is just “lard.” So I guess you’re suggesting that the un-hydrogenated lard should be softer and the hydrogenated lard is firmer. That’s what I am observing for the two brand/types of lard I am using, so thanks for pointing it out! :dance: SMF contributors have had good results with all kinds of lard, ranging from lard they rendered themselves to the brands that include hydrogenated lard, as discussed in this thread:

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/lardinators-what-lard-do-you-use.58533/#post-578030

I agree with the statement in the particular post I linked to about the un-hydrogenated lard smelling more bacon-y, but like that poster, I can’t smell it in the soap. I do have the slightest inkling at this point (something that deserves testing) that I am getting better/brighter greens from natural colorants when using the un-hydrogenated lard. Maybe the preservatives or the hydrogenated lard itself has something to do with that.

BE676A8C-643C-423E-92FB-0F15243FB874.jpeg 88A2AFA7-4A27-4CB8-964F-F4E3020869E9.jpeg 13D3CF4C-B132-4F69-83A6-66A6AD9432B4.jpeg 91316CE8-3813-4BFD-BA4E-3F24644A6828.jpeg

I have made soap with lard, though less than 80%. I bought the lard directly from the pig breeder and rendered it myself. I live in Slovenia in the European Union and would be glad to make a swap with you.

Hey all,

As a lifelong vegetarian handling pig fat pretty much grosses me out. At the same time everyone's euforia about how amazing lard soap is also made me curious to know what all the fuss is about! I'm especially curious if it would be possible to imitate the lather of lard soap by mimicking the fatty acid profile with vegetarian/vegan oils. I've come up with an oil blend that almost perfectly resembles the fatty acid profile of lard soap and I'm planning on trying to soap with it soon. The problem is, to really know if it's any good I'd need to compare it to an actual lard soap and I'd also love to get the opinion of an experienced lard soaper..
So my question is, is there anyone who would like to do some sort of swap.. we'd make the same high lard recipe, I was thinking of 20% CO, 80% lard and 3% SF and after cure we exchange a small piece so we can both compare the two soaps.
When answering, please consider I live in Belgium. I can send a small +- 50g/2oz piece of soap around the world for really cheap (though it might take a month to arrive) so I don't mind doing an international swap, but it would probably be easier to stay within Europe..

szaza, is your recipe similar to the one IrishLass posted about here?: https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/replace-lard.60723/#post-608370

Thanks everyone for replying! I really only need one small piece of lard soap that is identical in recipe to the 'fake lard' soap I'm going to make, so I can compare. I don't want a basement full of lard soap, because I have too much soap already and I'm still vegetarian.
I can send my soap to a few of you who have or are willing to make the same soap recipe so you can compare it to your own 'real lard' soap and report back with what you think. If you want me to send you a piece, please pm me, so I know how much to make. I'll only be able to send it after cure and it might take another month to arrive, depending on location.
@earlene, my recipe is different. Same idea, but a different oil blend[emoji6] I'll post it after testing!

Thanks everyone for replying! I really only need one small piece of lard soap that is identical in recipe to the 'fake lard' soap I'm going to make, so I can compare. I don't want a basement full of lard soap, because I have too much soap already and I'm still vegetarian.
I can send my soap to a few of you who have or are willing to make the same soap recipe so you can compare it to your own 'real lard' soap and report back with what you think. If you want me to send you a piece, please pm me, so I know how much to make. I'll only be able to send it after cure and it might take another month to arrive, depending on location.
@earlene, my recipe is different. Same idea, but a different oil blend[emoji6] I'll post it after testing!

I would be very interested in a vegan recipe as well, especially if it doesnt contain palm oil. I have a hard time finding pure lard in the stores here.

Thanks for experimenting!

Made my vegan lard replacement soap yesterday! It traced quite fast, so that's not something it has in common with lard. Luckily it already seems to lather quite ok today. I've never tried any lard soap, so no idea if it compares.. have to find that out in a month or so[emoji6]

Made my vegan lard replacement soap yesterday! It traced quite fast, so that's not something it has in common with lard. Luckily it already seems to lather quite ok today. I've never tried any lard soap, so no idea if it compares.. have to find that out in a month or so[emoji6]
Oooh this is interesting.. I haven't had the time nor the spare brain juice to play around with fatty acid profiles to get a vegan replacement, and I'd love one lol

If the recipe is for public sharing, I can experiment that for ya kinda like the lard vs. soy wax thing I did, if ya like :)

Oh, btw I don't eat pork. The smell of it while it's being cooked makes me gag. Bacon not so much but I still don't like it. Handling the lard though, is no problem for me. The one I get is rendered locally, is very white and has no stink at all. Reminds me of cream cheese and has a slight nutty, salty smell that surprisingly hasn't made me gag yet lol

When I use lard, I typically still use CO. The lard is at 25%. It makes for a very nice soap. I also use OO, AVO, RBO and Castor. I don’t usually super fat, except the oils I use for natural colorants and my EOs. I’m still experimenting with different soap recipes. I don’t sell soap and have only been doing this since Jan. I have also used lard with CO and Shea butter. I have a couple different vegan recipes and I think I’m about to nail down a perfect one!! The soap I learned to make in class was vegan but used PO. Once I’ve used up the PO I have on hand, I’m done with it. I’ve been educated on the impact on the environment that harvesting PO has.

This morning I obtained the raw pig fats. I got two types: fat from around the kidneys which I was told is better for soap and which I know used to be used in baking, and fat from under the skin. I rendered them separately. Now that I have lard I hope I'll be able to make soaps this weekend.

Latest posts

Back