Does anyone use Lard/Tallow/Vegetable Blends?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPicasso

Reaction score
Looking at the oil options in my local grocery last night, and I came across a Lard/Tallow/Vegetable blend tub.
The ingredients state Lard, Tallow, then a list of possible vegatable oils.

Has anyone found something like this to be useable? The vegetable oils seemed like they could be mixed up sometimes, but it didn't list Lard and/or Tallow, it included them both. label made it seem like they were consistent?

Anyways, wondering if anyone has done research on something like this before I look at how to contact the manufacturer.

I'm just looking to make my life easier by formulating a house recipe around full containers of ingredients.

It's "Always Saving" brand. Nothing more frustrating that actually trying to search on these very common terms. :shock:

Company Website where I couldn't find any information on their shortening.

They list lard, tallow, and soybean oil as well as some preservatives.
Looks like I'll have to contact them.

I use Great Value shortening with tallow and palm for most of my soaps and Crisco all-veg for vegan ones. They are both in soapcalc, though, so I just select them. Makes fine soap.

For the unknowns, dixie's idea sounds good. It will throw off the "quality" numbers that soapcalc estimates on the bottom left, but the lye ratios should be safe since it errs on the side of additional superfat.

I have. To be safe, I use the SAP value for whatever one is highest. I think in this case it's tallow, so I'd put in 16 oz of tallow, vs trying to guess percentages.
I would do the same ^^^ Even calling a company you cannot always get the sap value. These are packaged for food and SAP values is not necessary. Also you do not always get the actual manufacturing company only the distributing company when calling.
I would make a small test batch using the recommendation above and test for after 72 hrs. If it does not zap you are good to go. I recommend waiting 72 hrs because soap can stay zappy for said time especially if it does not gel

Back