Does anyone Sell tarts? I have questions (micas too)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lin19687

Reaction score
Oh the past 3-4 days of searching learning and such, my head is spinning as usual ......... mainly because, as usual, all videos end up on cute kitties ;). Lots of info on the search here too

Anyway, I have Pounds of Paraffin wax blocks from eons ago. I would really like to use it up but don't want to get into Wicks and such because I like Tarts better. Plus I have a cat that will put his face in the flame ! Actually he just died but I have one other kitty so like to be safe.

Anywho, after all the research I just looking at what the pricing is on them and I am a bit confused.
If my calculations are correct it costs around $1 to make a 1 oz Tart/melt single shape, no wrapping/clam shell.

Yankee sells theirs for $2 a tart (0.75 oz I think )
Walmart has Tart Clams that holds 2.5 oz for $2
Scentsy has Clam shells for $6 and has Net wt. 2.6 oz
:smallshrug:
How do you compete with that ? Yeah I know Walmart ones are probably not that great...

On a Side note, I don't have color dye blocks only Micas for now. But I would love to make the tarts with speckling and maybe not solid color. Would Micas work like that? I know it will pool or fall to the bottom when melted, I assume it will still be contained in the wax for removal.

I do. I sell mine for $3.50 for a clamshell that weighs around 2.8 ounces. Micas will not speckle them so to speak. you have to blend with some rubbing alcohol and the mica may settle. I have heard of folks who make their tarts with paraffin using bits of crayon shavings for color since its the same wax.

I also make little single shots in a portion cup for $1.50 and those are about an ounce and a half.

My favorite local maker sells 2.5 oz clam shell for $4 each. I have no problem paying that because they are nicely scented (I find the Scentsy and BHG to be overly scented). The other thing that I like about them is that they have no color. In the past I found some tarts would stain my warmers with color.

I am not a big color fan for that exact reason, staining. That was why I was thinking of the Mica for speckling but if it doesn't speckle then that is out. I was hoping to only use the tiniest bit.
I am also looking to use the least amount of plastic. We are really big into recycling here. I was thinking of either shrink wrap or plain...... no decision on that, I need to be able to make them correctly first and test them out lol.
I had made some 'back in the day' but I was not patient enough and had leaking fo if I remember correctly.

Crayons........... hmmm my youngest is 17.5 y/o (she told me that today actually) so I doubt I have any crayons around lol.... well maybe stuck to something smashed in her Junk drawer (s) .

@Lin19687 let me send you the crayons in my house... we'll consider it payback for that box you sent me :D

Is my minimalism showing? I just don't see the need for speckling or colors. Most of my warmers are enclosed so once the wax goes in I don't see it anyways. If I were making tarts, I'd make it as easy as possible and not even fiddle with mica or color because honestly, I don't think people care and it adds to the cost and labor of making it.

That said... If I were going to add the mica to wax, I wonder if you could do it kind of like adding fruit to jello. Let it set up a bit and then stir it in - maybe premixed with a bit of melted wax so you're not trying to stir powder into thicker wax. I'm kind of thinking outloud here - I've never made tarts or candles, so it's all musing on my part based on experience with lip balms. (which is totally not the same thing)

Yankee sells theirs for $2 a tart (0.75 oz I think )
Walmart has Tart Clams that holds 2.5 oz for $2
Scentsy has Clam shells for $6 and has Net wt. 2.6 oz
:smallshrug:
How do you compete with that ?
Unless you can make thousands at a time to keep you costs low enough, you can't compete with that.

But as small markets, we are not competing with those larger conglomerates. We are competing with other small businesses. It's not unusual to see a single 1oz tart go for $3 and a 2oz to go for $5 at craft shows/farmers markets.

On a Side note, I don't have color dye blocks only Micas for now.
You can color with mica, just know that the mica will sink to the bottom of the melter the first time the tart/melt is melted down.

I have heard of folks who make their tarts with paraffin using bits of crayon shavings for color since its the same wax.
No, it actually is not the same wax. Not even close. Crayons are made from a specialized pressed wax, that the general public is unable to get.

Coloring with crayons might be okay with tarts/melts, but it is absolutely not recommended for actual candlemaking because it can clog wicks and cause your candle to burn wonky or not at all, and it gives an off smell to the burning candle.

I am also looking to use the least amount of plastic
You can package in muslin. :)

But I would love to make the tarts with speckling and maybe not solid color. Would Micas work like that? I know it will pool or fall to the bottom when melted, I assume it will still be contained in the wax for removal.
No Mica will not speckle. It will be a solid color, and then swirl in the melted wax, then sink to the bottom.

I am not a big color fan for that exact reason, staining
I know you said you don't have any, so this is a moot point, but if you use candle coloring, there will be no staining.

@amd Don't be mean now ! I spit out my hot tea tho haahahhaa

Thank you @jcandleattic Good to know about price point. I guess it is like Soap, it isn't a store bought thing lol.

I stopped at AC Moore and got Red and Green color blocks for candles just to see how they do for light colors. I may try Mica just to see how they work as they melt for me. I knew about crayons blocking the Wick but didn't know it was a different Wax, thanks. I don't have any anyway :)

Will Muslin keep the scent well? What about just having them unwrapped but in a glass jar? That way they don't even have to touch them, just lift lid and smell.

Latest posts

Back