Does anyone list their ingredients properly?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I state "skin safe color" on my labels. I make soap, I really don't have to provide ingredients at all.

I do the same as amd. You are free to list them any way you choose as long as it allowed by where you live. You’ve brought this up before and the answer isn’t going to change. It’s different from soaper to Soaper and where they life and guidelines required.

Can someone from Canada confirm this? I was under the impression that you are like the UK and have to have things listed correctly and inspected or something. Sorry I am not thinking clearly today so I can't think of the wording i mean

In Canada we are required to list every ingredient or CI number if the colorant has one. When I use mica's, neon's, pigments, etc I list all ingredients. It does take up a lot of space on the labels but it is required by Canadian laws.

I list each ingredient in the micas I use. I was under the impression we had to so I just always have. When I did my research on labeling soaps (US), I read that every ingredient had to be listed, (if including an ingredient label), in order of predominance, except for ingredients under 1% (or some low percentage like that). They could be listed in any order. I have had to change my font size on some labels if the list was long, but that is rare as many micas have the same ingredients.

Great info, thanks.
And yes @Millie I rant about this all the time. Maybe my rants are unjustified though.

You are at an extreme competitive disadvantage if you are putting words like this : Fluorphlogopite
on your your label and someone making the exact same product is calling it Mica.

My understanding has always been that you do not have to list ingredients, but if you do, you have to break it out with the big words.

I guess that is not the case, so I may just start saying Mica or Colorant.

Then, I can stop ranting and complaining! LOL

Great info, thanks.
And yes @Millie I rant about this all the time. Maybe my rants are unjustified though.

You are at an extreme competitive disadvantage if you are putting words like this : Fluorphlogopite
on your your label and someone making the exact same product is calling it Mica.

My understanding has always been that you do not have to list ingredients, but if you do, you have to break it out with the big words.

I guess that is not the case, so I may just start saying Mica or Colorant.

Then, I can stop ranting and complaining! LOL
So...just to be clear. Is the consensus that in the US, if the product is soap (no claims), we do not have to list each of the colors' ingredients and we can just list "colorant"?

So...just to be clear. Is the consensus that in the US, if the product is soap (no claims), we do not have to list each of the colors' ingredients and we can just list "colorant"?

That is my understanding thus far.

My confusion always came after you made the decision to list ingredients.
I have always known and it's common knowledge I think that listing ingredients on soap in the U.S. is optional. No one is arguing this.

But if you decide to list ingredients (even though it's optional), how do you list them? There are 2 ways, you just say Colorants or you break it up into components (Iron Oxide, Mineral A, Mineral B, etc.).

My initial understanding was that if you decide to list them, you only had 1 option which was to break up the colorants into components. This triggered me to complain, gripe, etc since no one breaks them up into components.

But I think based upon the info in this post my initial understanding is wrong. Once you decide to list ingredients, you can do it either way.

Hopefully I'm making sense.

That is my understanding thus far.

My confusion always came after you made the decision to list ingredients.
I have always known and it's common knowledge I think that listing ingredients on soap in the U.S. is optional. No one is arguing this.

But if you decide to list ingredients (even though it's optional), how do you list them? There are 2 ways, you just say Colorants or you break it up into components (Iron Oxide, Mineral A, Mineral B, etc.).

My initial understanding was that if you decide to list them, you only had 1 option which was to break up the colorants into components. This triggered me to complain, gripe, etc since no one breaks them up into components.

But I think based upon the info in this post my initial understanding is wrong. Once you decide to list ingredients, you can do it either way.

Hopefully I'm making sense.
You are making perfect sense. I, too, list them all and I could swear I read that you had to. I just don't remember where I read that. Maybe I read false information. Thank you for your response.

Back