Does anyone list their ingredients properly?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carl

Reaction score
I know. I periodically go off on rants similar to this topic. But really, does anyone actually label their products properly? I'm specifically referring to micas and colorants.

For example, I have a mica that I use and the ingredients are:
Fluorphlogopite, Titanium Dioxide,Tin Dioxide,Iron Oxide

I actually put this on the label and on the website.

I cannot find 1 person or soap business that does this. NOT ONE. On soap business websites or Etsy.

Everyone just puts "Mica" or "Colorants" on ingredient lists and labels.

Has anyone else ever seen anyone else that does it properly?

Nope. Never seen it listed in such a way unless it was just select few colorants like titanium dioxide. I can also understand why many won't. If it is not overly complicated, the color blend may be proprietary.

Nope. Never seen it listed in such a way unless it was just select few colorants like titanium dioxide. I can also understand why many won't. If it is not overly complicated, the color blend may be proprietary.

I guess I'm the only one in the world that is breaking Red Mica down into the following:

That blend to make Red Mica really isn't proprietary though; I just copied/pasted it from the WSP website.

In other countries they HAVE to, Canada is one.
No I do not and I also put Lye as people just don't know it any other way.
KISS = keep it simple silly

Look to be honest I went to do it, and for several of my soaps I had six or seven colourants in them, each with three, four or five ingredients. I honestly couldn't fit it on my labels ...

Even when I use several colorants, it ends up being less than 1% of the total weight of the batch, so I only list my colorants as "colorant". (but I do at least list it as that)
I believe equal to or less than 1% you don't have to break down the specifics, but honestly, I haven't looked at the FDA rules and regs in a while, so could absolutely be doing it wrong.

I know. I periodically go off on rants similar to this topic. But really, does anyone actually label their products properly? I'm specifically referring to micas and colorants.

Define "properly"?

If you are making Cosmetic or Drug claims about your soap, then yes, you would need to break down the ingredients of your colorants. But if you are not, then you don't.

In other countries they HAVE to, Canada is one.
No I do not and I also put Lye as people just don't know it any other way.
KISS = keep it simple silly
Do we though, in Canada? My supplier doesn't even list ingredients (although I know it's vegan, kosher, from India and free of peanuts *and* BSE!).
Our food can just say "colour" (Is that orange coming from tartrazine? beta-carotene? ground-up tabby cats? who knows?), so I'd be surprised if our soap had to list all the mica ingredients.

I guess I'm the only one in the world that is breaking Red Mica down into the following:

That blend to make Red Mica really isn't proprietary though; I just copied/pasted it from the WSP website.
I don’t use mica. I make as natural as can be soap. :)

Do we though, in Canada? My supplier doesn't even list ingredients (although I know it's vegan, kosher, from India and free of peanuts *and* BSE!).
Our food can just say "colour" (Is that orange coming from tartrazine? beta-carotene? ground-up tabby cats? who knows?), so I'd be surprised if our soap had to list all the mica ingredients.

Can someone from Canada confirm this? I was under the impression that you are like the UK and have to have things listed correctly and inspected or something. Sorry I am not thinking clearly today so I can't think of the wording i mean

We have to lidt the CI number which should correspond with a mica "blend" rather than list each component individually.

Since I generally use pigments for my CP, my labels are listed with the base ingredients, fragrance/essential oil, Iron oxides and/or TD. I've got a tiny little box to work everything into, so the labels have to be reworked. I'm probably going to switch to the saponified names.

I've registered my recipes and I've listed them as Fragrance and Colour and my recipes have been approved (at least the ones I've gotten back). I was not required to specify the fragrance, nor the ingredients in the colourant, just the percentage used of each.

We do not have to have our recipes tested; they are submitted to Health Canada to ensure that we're not using ingredients we shouldn't be using.

"Ground-up tabby cats" - that made me laugh!! Don't get me wrong I LOVE cats but that was just funny. Thank you @MGM for making me laugh after a crappy day at work!! It's harsh working in a hospital these days and I really needed that belly laugh!!

I've registered my recipes and I've listed them as Fragrance and Colour and my recipes have been approved (at least the ones I've gotten back). I was not required to specify the fragrance, nor the ingredients in the colourant, just the percentage used of each.

We do not have to have our recipes tested; they are submitted to Health Canada to ensure that we're not using ingredients we shouldn't be using.

Ah thank you :) That was what I was talking about but for some reason I thought you had to list the colourants.

Latest posts

Back