Does anyone just let the vanillin win?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup - I just let it win :) I like deep, dark scents so most of the soaps I have for personal use are brown. People don't seem to mind the color - I think they go mostly by scent and ingredients.

Oh my gosh! I delighted in this post.
I acquiesce to the vanillin, if I do happen to buy a FO that discolors. I try to flow with it, but when those sneaky ones get past my radar and turn after I've made multiple colors and swirls. Boo! I had two FO's that were listed as "Zero Vanillin". Was not pleased, but overall I strive to avoid vanillin the villain.

I normally go with the flow on the ones I know have vanilla, here is a batch I did just to see how dark it would get. One is just 24 hours after,and the last is about a week, it's dark but not to dark, and I think it brings out the other colors!!

Attachments

• 20190203_145944.jpg
    20190203_145944.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 20190215_134428.jpg
    20190215_134428.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 15
Since Vanilla is not the only component that will discolor soap, this is another reason I use a stabilizer in all my soaps. It works to stop most components that will cause discoloration.

I think I’ve only used 2 scents so far in my many years of soaping that the stabilizer didn’t stop the discoloring in. One was a honey based scent, and I can’t remember the other one because I never used it again because the scent morphed.

I normally go with the flow on the ones I know have vanilla, here is a batch I did just to see how dark it would get. One is just 24 hours after,and the last is about a week, it's dark but not to dark, and I think it brings out the other colors!!

yes I like the dark one better too

It never occurred to me to fight it! It's just one of the many quirks abut soaping that I love. (That and the excitement of an unexpected FO reaction!) But anyway, I embrace it! I pull out less than 1/3 of the soap before adding the FO.... and color that. I add the FO to the pot.... mix, and then do a pot swirl with the colored, unscented soap. Makes some pretty effects!

I have only had 2 soaps discolour unexpectedly and they were both lightish, not dark dark brown....I don't MIND the darker colour, but I don't really like the unevenness of it. I used brown oxide in a vanilla soap that I thought would discolour, so can't really tell how bad it got, since I darkened it on its own....and it's even.
It does make me want to invest in a VS just to see...who knew how many fragrances had vanillin in them?? Lemongrass-Verbena, Amber Romance, Cherry, etc. all sorts of things that I wouldn't expect! @jcandleattic , will you share the name of the VS that you love?

Since Vanilla is not the only component that will discolor soap, this is another reason I use a stabilizer in all my soaps. It works to stop most components that will cause discoloration.
Thank you for mentioning this @jcandleattic I've been putting off using an FO that has zero vanillan but discolors to light tan. Now I have a solution!

Thank you for mentioning this @jcandleattic I've been putting off using an FO that has zero vanillan but discolors to light tan. Now I have a solution!
It works most of the time for me with non-vanilla soaps but not always, so bear that in mind. But I have found this stabilizer is the best one on the market. Others are just not worth it. (IMO of course)

Latest posts

Back