Does anyone here do HP soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know this is not the right forum (but couldn't find a HP forum). I am wanting to do a batch of HP to try and then do more on the CP end of things. I am trying to get a few batches done because I am chairwoman of a foundation through the NFT to get a woman on the heart transplant list so I want some quick results to have for trade shows and then slower ones for the ones down the line.

So, I guess I am just wondering if anyone does hot process and what big differences there are other than the obvious of cooking it versus letting it cure? Thanks in advance.:crazy:

Lots of people here do HP. As far as speed, in my experience the HP still needs to dry out, so it's not really much faster than CP. Plus mine usually warped some, so it wasn't as pretty as CP.
If you're just learning, I wouldn't count on having saleable soap for a few months. The first batches usually aren't that great.

I agree with Marilyna.

Selling soap isn't as easy as, "I made my first batch! Now I'm going to sell it!"

If you want to raise money for this poor woman, please consider other options (yard sales, auctions, dinners, etc). The last thing you want to do is sell a bad product that may potentially hurt someone.

Selling Soaps

I've got a special broken heart mold, ph test strips, etc. Not going to be selling a product that is bad or would hurt anyone. Using strictly olive oil, sodium hydroxide, distilled water, and rose essential oil and will try on myself before even trying.

However, for this I already have a market as 100% of the proceeds go to her transplant fund so the area groups said they would love to try it and benefit her at the same time.

Just wondering if anyone had any tips for HP. I've done weeks and weeks of research and safety tests, etc.

The ingredients you have will make a great Castile soap, but Castile soap needs an even longer cure period than other soaps.

Because soap making is as much art as science, there is a tendency for things to go wrong. Think of it like baking a cake from scratch. The first few times they are wonky, overly dense, domed over or collapsed, the icing is gritty or it melts... When we talk about bad batches, it is part of the learning curve. Even after 6 months, there are still a surprising number of batches that don't come out quite right.

Cure time for HP

I know it "says" you can do instant with HP but I had planned to cure them for a couple weeks before letting them go on the "market", persay and work on my CP during that time.

I got addicted to castille and bastille soaps and love them more than anything. They have helped my skin SO much.

I prefer HP over CP because I don't have to make sure the temps of the lye water and oils are good before mixing. If you plan on doing swirls with HP, I wouldn't count on it as it is not the easiest. As mentioned, they are not as smooth as CP but there is nothing wrong with a nice rustic looking bar. I wouldn't bother with the ph strips, just use the tongue zap test (just have a glass of water near by to swish the taster of your tongue, don't swallow). When they say HP is ready right after cutting it is true but if you want the bar to last, it is better to let it dry.

I have not done a Castile bar yet so I cannot provide much on that, but if you have any other questions, I will be glad to see if I can help

Castille soap stays slimy for months even when HPed. If you want a soap soon I'd vote for melt and pour. You might even find a Castille type m&p base. Best to you on your venture. Helping others is a blessing to you and them.

I always let my HP soap cure for about 2 weeks before using, selling, giving away

I do HP soap making. The soap is ready after cutting it as Ipstephy85 says. It is always good to dry it out before using, to have it last longer. When I make soaps with a lot of olive oil I dry them for about 1-2 weeks. I have not made Castile soap though.

I know it "says" you can do instant with HP but I had planned to cure them for a couple weeks before letting them go on the "market", persay and work on my CP during that time.

I got addicted to castille and bastille soaps and love them more than anything. They have helped my skin SO much.

You're planning to sell that quickly?

Eeek. Don't make the mistakes many before have made. Give yourself ample time and practice before you sell, about a year or so.

Yes, everyone is just being helpful. I hope we don't come across as anything other than that. Others have learned these lessons the hard way. Even people that have made tons of soap sometimes end up with a lye heavy batch or lye pockets. I think since you have a shaped mold (the broken heart) that a melt and pour type of soap would be perfect for what you're wanting to do. It's still "real soap", just minus the super long cure time and you don't have to mess with lye. A 100% olive oil soap will take months to reach it's full potential.

Maybe you can start with melt & pour for now as you learn and perfect HP or CP soaping. :)

I remember how ugly my soaps were when I started selling. Yikes! I started too soon, and even though they were safe, they looked like poop compared to my product now. It's night and day.

Time will make a better product, and will make you more money.

Latest posts

Back