Does anyone have a good recipe for rebatching?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperPhat

Reaction score
I've tried to rebatch soooo many time and it just hasn't worked out. I haven't given up though! I was wondering if anyone out there has a good basic recipe that you use for rebatching? I would appreciate it :)

I'm a newbie. Maybe you could outline the steps you're using. Perhaps it's just a technique problem. As far as I understand you should be able to rebatch any CP recipe. I could be wrong...

Its hard to be specific...I've tried a number of different batches, all varying in oil types. My first try was with the Olive Oil Castile batch in Norma Coney's book and all tries where incredible flops.

I've tried the oven method a few times, boiling in bags a few times, stove top...basically everything but microwave and crock pot. I'm going to try the crock pot method next. I want to rebatch the day or two after I make the basic soap. I just wondered if there were any batches that people have had more success with than others.

Just a question: Did you grind up all your soap like using a hand grater? And did you try using a double boiler pot?

And what were your results? Perhaps you might describe how things are coming out and what's wrong with them.

I had my own little rebatching experiment. I started with trim scraps from my OO Castile and the scraps were too small and too soft to grate, so I thought perhaps I could add a little water and melt them in a double boiler, then remold. I never got anything better than a gucky glob that wouldn't fully liquify and I finally decided to just smoosh the globs into some glass dishes as molds. It's been 2-3 days now and they are still gelatinous, perhaps a pudding viscosity, and I'm hoping maybe in a week or so they'll solidify enough to remove from the molds.

So whatever I did, better try something else. ;)

I've always grated mine with a regular size cheese grater. Add a little water and put it in some sort of a heating element...I've done a double boiler, used my enamel pots in the oven and tried boiling the soap in plastic bags.

i don't really remember what recipes i've used because its been so long since i tried.

Almost forgot...some of my batches had too much water and were soupy, the one I boiled was way too hard even though I added quite a bit of water. It ended up looking like a huge pile of crap because I'd added cocoa powder...not pretty :lol:

Some of them I'd tried following Norma Coney's directions...I think her rebatch recipes call for too much water.

So do you think if I use my regular recipe it should work ok? I usually do
40% RBO
27% Palm
27% Coconut
6% Castor

Your image of a huge pile of cocoa fueled gunk made me laugh! :)

It sounds like my failed experiment except mine was just plain Castile. Still gunk but looked like soap gunk.

I understand you should be using about 3/4# of water to 1# of soap shavings. How much did you use in relation to that?

Hmmm, after my watery messes I've tried starting w/ less water. I think my last batch I started with 1/4 c water per 1# of soap. I figure I can always add water but not take any away...

I recently read someone's method...she soaks her shavings in goats milk over night and then puts them in the oven. I think that will be my next try.

Hey SP I had a look at your blog and I just wanted to warn you that you should not eat soap. Some of your soaps look delicious!!! :)

I've been searching the web and most often they say about 1/2 C. per pound although one page said 1/4 C. per pound.

My favorite book ("Essentially Soap" by Dr. Robert S. McDaniel) says start out with 1/2 C. per pound grated soap, heat and occasionally stir 1-2 hours, and add up to another 1/2 C. if necessary. He says if it's lumpy to use a stick blender to smooth it out.

Another book ("Soapmaking for Fun & Profit" by Maria Given Nerius) says use 12 oz. per pound of soap.

I hope to figure out rebatching too. I like that you can forget about lye ruining your scenting and coloring.

I've only had to rebatch once so far. When I did I think I only added 1/4 c water or less even ppo. It worked out great. My friends really went for that soap.

Just don't give up. Keep trying.

Laurie

Hey there! I tried using those recipes but yes too much water. I have a recipe for rebatching if you would like to check it out! It's listed under soapmaking recipes. Just so you know I don't make cp soap I just buy them!

I don't see any soapmaking recipes link there pepperi27. Do you have a direct link?

I've been reading up on this. Quite a few books say 12 oz. water to 1# soap shavings. Some more say 1/2 cup per pound, one or two say 1/4 cup per pound.

My rebatch failure seems to be drying out and might result in usable soap even yet.

Thanks for the link! Do you think that will work for my lard-coconut-olive soap? I added too much colorant and too much EO. I'm thinking of making an identical batch without the color/EO then run both batches through a grater and rebatch them in what I hope will be half the scent and half the color.

Would that work?

And also, considering the soap is already saponified, would it harm my crock pot for food use later? It seems to me it wouldn't but I just want to check since I don't want to destroy my crock pot for cooking use.

I don't know why it wouldn't work for your soap. Maybe someone else can reply, if that is not true.
I have an old crockpot that I use especially for soap making. I think that cooking the soap will cause the essential oils to evaporate. I don't know about the color.
The recipe states that you can use the double boiler method. If you have a large bowl that you don't use for anything else, just set it over simmering water in a kettle. That will work also.

Back