Does anyone have a good deep conditioner recipe?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MelissaG

Reaction score
I don't want to make and sell it, I want it for myself. I want to dye my hair one of those fun colors like pink and it tends to need a deep conditioning at least a couple times a week. The picture is the last time I dyed my hair. Mind you, this was several years ago now. I totally fried it with the bleaching last time lol. Took two years to grow out. But I'm getting grey now and my brown hair is slowly getting lighter so I figure I'll try it without bleaching. The pink was so awesome so I'm thinking that's the color I want. Yes, in the pic my hair is pink and blue.

1656568173117.png

Last edited:
I don't want to make and sell it, I want it for myself. I want to dye my hair one of those fun colors like pink and it tends to need a deep conditioning at least a couple times a week. The picture is the last time I dyed my hair. Mind you, this was several years ago now. I totally fried it with the bleaching last time lol. Took two years to grow out. But I'm getting grey now and my brown hair is slowly getting lighter so I figure I'll try it without bleaching. The pink was so awesome so I'm thinking that's the color I want. Yes, in the pic my hair is pink and blue.

View attachment 67429
Sorry, I know this is not what you have asked but I just have to add this comment. Do keep one thing in mind, no conditioner will ever fix your damaged hair it is only a bandaid no matter what advertisements tell you. Yes, it can penetrate the hair shaft of damaged hair because the cuticle is opened due to the damage which is why the hair is frayed and rough feeling, but it still cannot cure a problem since the hair shaft is not living. Hair is dead you cannot fix dead. These fun colors are fun but with naturally dark hair I really question if it is worth the risk, especially if one has long hair.

I was from the days when we did heavy bleaching of hair and saw a tremendous amount of damage of all degrees. For some folks it worked out fine some it was disastrous and no amount of conditioning would fix it. Granted hair products have improved over the years but the basics and chemistry are still the same. In my Beauty College days, I had my hair bleached until I saw it becoming damaged then quit, LOL, at my age I no longer have to bleach. :D:D Just a little FYI, back in those days we even had to bleach gray hair to get the colors to penetrate, the new colors today do not have to do that thank goodness. So it shows how things have changed at times for the better. I could actually have fun colors with my platinum hair if I so chose.

Sorry, I know this is not what you have asked but I just have to add this comment. Do keep one thing in mind, no conditioner will ever fix your damaged hair it is only a bandaid no matter what advertisements tell you. Yes, it can penetrate the hair shaft of damaged hair because the cuticle is opened due to the damage which is why the hair is frayed and rough feeling, but it still cannot cure a problem since the hair shaft is not living. Hair is dead you cannot fix dead. These fun colors are fun but with naturally dark hair I really question if it is worth the risk, especially if one has long hair.

I was from the days when we did heavy bleaching of hair and saw a tremendous amount of damage of all degrees. For some folks it worked out fine some it was disastrous and no amount of conditioning would fix it. Granted hair products have improved over the years but the basics and chemistry are still the same. In my Beauty College days, I had my hair bleached until I saw it becoming damaged then quit, LOL, at my age I no longer have to bleach. :D:D Just a little FYI, back in those days we even had to bleach gray hair to get the colors to penetrate, the new colors today do not have to do that thank goodness. So it shows how things have changed at times for the better. I could actually have fun colors with my platinum hair if I so chose.
It's long right now but I'm getting it chopped next week. It's driving me crazy. It's very very hot here with last weekend hitting 115 degrees and having my hair down to armpit length is just a no go. I've been trying to choose between these but my husband suggests the red one and I kind of like it too. I'm going to talk to my hairdresser about them doing it since it will likely result in less damage to my hair than me doing it. The attached hair is what my hair currently looks like without any color. Isn't it great when you start to get older? lol The picture in my profile is from a few years ago.
1656616598803.png

1656616163976.png
1656616175673.png
1656616184809.png

Thank you for everyones suggestions here. I'll go check out HumbleBee and Me. The issue I've had with hers is that she tends to use things like sulfates.

I know this is not what you asked, but, rather than use a permanent dye, there are fun and colorful temporary hair color products that won't harm your hair and wash out. I've never used them but it looks promising - here's one from L'Oreal - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074K7Z3FT?tag=byrdie-onsite-prod-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1&ascsubtag=4606255|nb18d653f7cd64a6498e12ff8dd6064ab17|B074K7Z3FT
Oh, I've used Pravada and Joico Color Intensity before. Although I'm debating on Arctic Fox or Unicorn this time around. I don't know about the LOreal. It seems a bit weird that a standard hair color company would come up with these colors for some reason.

The attached hair is what my hair currently looks like without any color. Isn't it great when you start to get older? lol The picture in my profile is from a few years ago.
View attachment 67433
If that's your natural color, I think it is beautiful! However, we all have different ways that make us feel beautiful. Hope you love your new "do" and color, whatever you end up choosing.

Oh, I've used Pravada and Joico Color Intensity before. Although I'm debating on Arctic Fox or Unicorn this time around. I don't know about the LOreal. It seems a bit weird that a standard hair color company would come up with these colors for some reason.
It does seem weird, but maybe they wanted to reach out to an audience that didn't want to use a permanent hair color. This one says it washes out after about 10 shampoos. I've never used any colors, but it is tempting to me to use something that I know isn't permanent. Post pictures if you do it. I would love to see how it goes, and maybe it would inspire me!!

It does seem weird, but maybe they wanted to reach out to an audience that didn't want to use a permanent hair color. This one says it washes out after about 10 shampoos. I've never used any colors, but it is tempting to me to use something that I know isn't permanent. Post pictures if you do it. I would love to see how it goes, and maybe it would inspire me!!
Hehe, Joico says it isn't permanent. Mine didn't go away completely until it was cut off. Just to warn you.

View attachment 67429
Your pink hair color is absolutely beautiful with your skin tones. The very dark blue would be interesting as a teeny tiny tip dye or perhaps a few streaks around the top front. I've been your age twice now and it's very important imho to do whatever you want to feel and look how you want to feel and look! The pink suits you well.

I make my own for curly hair, so it is very rich on the emollients. You can find a link to the ingredients in this blogpost. I am actually making more this week.
THANK YOU !!! for sharing not only your recipe but your numbers spreadsheet. Do you use FileMaker pro? I use a recipe from HumbleBeeandMe for leave in conditioner with Green Cognac EO. It's awesome for fine thin hair as I have. Am going to make your hair conditioner for my daughter who has very curly hair. Enjoy the day!

@bwtapestry You are most welcome! I do not use filemaker pro, just an iMac and it has the Numbers app which is what I used to write it. I was curious about Marie's from HumblebeeandMe leave in conditioner recipe, glad to hear you like it, I will take another look at it. Have a great day too!

@bwtapestry You are most welcome! I do not use filemaker pro, just an iMac and it has the Numbers app which is what I used to write it. I was curious about Marie's from HumblebeeandMe leave in conditioner recipe, glad to hear you like it, I will take another look at it. Have a great day too!
the leave in conditioner that I've used for over one year is at: Rosé Leave-In Hair Conditioner - Humblebee & Me You can use any type of hydrolyzed protein if you have something else on hand. Changing out the EO also easily done. the green cognac smells very much like white wine and not everyone I shared the rinse with liked the smell. I love it as I like "green" sort of smells. I made some last year and it is still very good. Sealed it up and keep in a dark dry place in 2 oz containers. I love it for my fine very long hair. I wash hair at night, add conditioner (Do not need much! ) and twist up in a knot. Go to bed and comb through in the morning. I have lady Godiva length hair. Hair cuts are too expensive. Once a year or so I go to the Aveda school in town here.

@bwtapestry I had never heard of that essential oil before, it sounds intriguing! Thanks for sharing the link. I bet you can do all sorts of updos with your hair if you wanted. Agree with you on how expensive haircuts can be, I don’t remember the last time someone cut my hair, I usually trim it myself with salon type scissors. An advantage of having curly hair since it’s never even.

Your pink hair color is absolutely beautiful with your skin tones. The very dark blue would be interesting as a teeny tiny tip dye or perhaps a few streaks around the top front. I've been your age twice now and it's very important imho to do whatever you want to feel and look how you want to feel and look! The pink suits you well.
Thank you. I was rather surprised at how good it looked. I thought the blue would be the better one lol. I guess because blue is my favorite color. The pink lightens gorgeously too to a beautiful cool toned pink (I wish I could find the picture). I so do not want to fry my hair again so I'm wondering if it will stand out on my greying color. It's a pity, my hair used to be dark brown, sometimes I get surprised when I look in the mirror and it reflects so light.
the leave in conditioner that I've used for over one year is at: Rosé Leave-In Hair Conditioner - Humblebee & Me You can use any type of hydrolyzed protein if you have something else on hand. Changing out the EO also easily done. the green cognac smells very much like white wine and not everyone I shared the rinse with liked the smell. I love it as I like "green" sort of smells. I made some last year and it is still very good. Sealed it up and keep in a dark dry place in 2 oz containers. I love it for my fine very long hair. I wash hair at night, add conditioner (Do not need much! ) and twist up in a knot. Go to bed and comb through in the morning. I have lady Godiva length hair. Hair cuts are too expensive. Once a year or so I go to the Aveda school in town here.
I'll take a look at that one. I have a couple others of hers saved to make here at some point since I have all the ingredients.

The last time my hair was cut was about a year ago now. It's just that it's driving me crazy since it's about armpit length and getting in the way. I always know I need to get it cut when I start laying on it with my elbows.

@MelissaG I was wondering if you had gotten your haircut yet but I guess not yet from above. I forgot to mention something earlier, a hairdresser YouTuber I watch occasionally (BradMondo) has said that gray hair is hard to color. I bought one of his semi permanent dyes a while back, (a magenta one) and it took well only in the formerly dyed ends of my hair, in the rest of the hair you could only see it in the sunlight. It made the gray strands turn a pale pink, instead of the dark pink. So you may need to bleach it for a deep pink color but there are ways to do it safely, his videos do have tips on that. (If you are going the diy route).

Latest posts

Back