Does anyone else weave?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gigisiguenza

Reaction score
Am I the only other weaver in the building? I'm still using my diy winebox loom. What do you other fiber addicts use? :)

Miss Maisy is worn out from stringing heddle sticks lol

1452920419709.jpg

I took a weaving class and I made a scarf, I don't have a loom yet but I like yours. Would you mind sharing how you built it?

Last edited:
I have a rigid heddle.
I need to try to find pictures of my projects, but here are my towels:
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1452950463.232674.jpg
Here's a thick bath towel in progress:
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1452950494.529280.jpg
In this shot you can see a dishcloth sitting on top of a log cabin sampler:
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1452950557.477759.jpg
Here's a scarf made from handspun:
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1452950600.511726.jpg

Gigi, your loom looks great. And Miss Maisy is adorable.

I have a little pin loom (small and square and modeled after the old Weave-it's). It's a lot of fun to make little squares from leftover yarn. One day I have aspirations to sew them all together for a blanket.

Oh wow. I haven't ever had a go at weaving but it looks like anothe hobby I could easily lose myself to! And I could make a look from a wine box?!?! Goes off to read some tutorials on the web........

I took weaving class and I made a scarf, I don't have a loom yet but I like your. Would you mind sharing how you built it?

It was very simple actually. I marked each end with 1/4 inch marks and used push pins as my anchors. It's not sophisticated and has limitations, but it works well enough for me to learn on and practice.

I'm debating altering it by adding some detachable warp bars that allow me to make longer things. We will see :)

Here's some close ups of the ways to use the anchor pins as well as makeshift string heddles.

1452974335335.jpg

1452974369006.jpg

1452974405085.jpg

Ty all :) I'm currently trying to work out how to build a more versatile loom. If u work it out I'll post pics :)

I have a rigid heddle.
I need to try to find pictures of my projects, but here are my towels:

Your projects look awesome :) I'm still learning (via Google and YouTube ) and trying to construct a small heddle loom.

Oh wow. I haven't ever had a go at weaving but it looks like anothe hobby I could easily lose myself to! And I could make a look from a wine box?!?! Goes off to read some tutorials on the web........

saponista I find it very relaxing :)

It was very simple actually. I marked each end with 1/4 inch marks and used push pins as my anchors. It's not sophisticated and has limitations, but it works well enough for me to learn on and practice.

I'm debating altering it by adding some detachable warp bars that allow me to make longer things. We will see :)

Here's some close ups of the ways to use the anchor pins as well as makeshift string heddles.

This is wonderful, I'll try it. TY for sharing.

Me! I've been weaving for a couple years I have a 45" 8S Colonial LeClerc and a small 24" 4S Dorothy LeClerc table loom. Hoping to buy an AVL soon.

Me! I've been weaving for a couple years I have a 45" 8S Colonial LeClerc and a small 24" 4S Dorothy LeClerc table loom. Hoping to buy an AVL soon.

I'm very jealous right now LOL. I'm still chugging away at my little wine box DIY loom and fast becoming frustrated with its limitations. I'm also trying to learn what types of threads to use for warping, and learning weaving patterns. I adore fiber art. :)

I'm very jealous right now LOL. I'm still chugging away at my little wine box DIY loom and fast becoming frustrated with its limitations. I'm also trying to learn what types of threads to use for warping, and learning weaving patterns. I adore fiber art. :)

I mainly weave 2/8 cotton. I've done some wool, hemp, and bamboo as well. I want to weave a scarf with my hand spun yarns but haven't gotten around to it because I just had a baby 3 weeks ago. Then before that I was battling kidney infections the last 2 months of my pregnancy. I'm hoping to be weaving again soon

A good loom definitely makes it more enjoyable. Have you looked around for a small table loom? I paid $250 for my Dorothy.

I mainly weave 2/8 cotton. I've done some wool, hemp, and bamboo as well. I want to weave a scarf with my hand spun yarns but haven't gotten around to it because I just had a baby 3 weeks ago. Then before that I was battling kidney infections the last 2 months of my pregnancy. I'm hoping to be weaving again soon

Awww a new baby! congrats!
A good loom definitely makes it more enjoyable. Have you looked around for a small table loom? I paid $250 for my Dorothy.
$250 isn't bad but outside my very limited budget. I have been eyeballing used rigid heddle looms for under 150 but even that is gonna take a very long time to save up for. But I am determined! First on my list is some dang lye so I can get back to soaping LOL
I used to weave a LOT, but then I quit drinking....
Hahaha hahaha Steve

Awww a new baby! congrats!

Thank you!!

$250 isn't bad but outside my very limited budget. I have been eyeballing used rigid heddle looms for under 150 but even that is gonna take a very long time to save up for. But I am determined! First on my list is some dang lye so I can get back to soaping LOL

Hahaha hahaha Steve

That's too bad! Hopefully you find a great deal on a loom then!

Thanks to the defect bin at home depot, I now have a 24" wide loom. The entire thing cost me $4, and they were nice enough to cut them to my required sizes for me :). It ain't pretty, but it should be functional. I need to borrow a drill to make my peg holes deeper, but otherwise, it should work. I'm still deciding how I want to create the heddles and castle frame, and how I want to attach them, but it should work as is. I'll post a pic when I get it warped tomorrow.

If I can't soap, I may as well weave :)

uploadfromtaptalk1454570931407.jpg

Back