Does anybody like unscented soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OMG its killing me. I can either use the fo's leftover that I have and hate, or make unscented soap. I mean, I don't mind unscented soap. But I don't want 8 bars of it personally, no matter how pretty it is LOL.

If I have an FO leftover that I won't use, that means I want to sue them over how bad it smells....totally kidding about that.

Do I use the terrible fo because somebody else might think its nice, make an unscented loaf, or wait until tuesday for my order LOL

Hard to say. I don't like it, and most of my customers buy purely on smell. However, every so often someone comes along who would like an unscented soap. In fact i was just discussing it with a girl at work last week who always buys my oat milk and oatmeal soap - she would prefer unscented so i said I could make a half batch just for her if she was willing to buy it all and she was keen.
Regarding the FO you hate - I bet there are some people who will like it.

I’ll put in for a vote for the occasional unscented bar. Speaking on my soaps/house. Sometimes you get a scent that is way too strong and need something after/between bars of that batch to give myself a break. My husband uses my soap on his face but commercial products otherwise, sometimes the scent combinations throw me off and I need that unscented bar while he finishes that bottle of whatever. There are also too many scented things at work, I have come home with scent headaches during the winter (when we can’t open windows) and like an unscented bar to help with that. I also prefer my Castile unscented, I don’t make it often but it’s always unscented when I do.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with unscented soaps. I make both Regular and Goat Milk Unscented for those with with scent sensitivities or who simple prefer unscented soaps.

Unless a customer wants to special order a loaf of some scent I can't stand, I'm not making it. With that said, I'm allergic to Lavender, gives me migraines. BUT I have managed to find a Lavender that only gives me a slight headache and so I make Lavender Soap.

As an aside...cavity molds are a great way to use up leftover scents.

I always figured unscented soaps would be preferred by those who wear a sort of signature fragrance and don't want any other smells competing. (But that's not me, ha.) And those who are allergic to lots and lots of things.

Yes! There’s something about that subtle smell that makes me want to keep washing my hands over and over with the unscented soap. Just made unscented 100% lard the other night. Can’t wait to try that one. I hope mica powders don’t alter the original product.

Most of my family has to use unscented. When my daughter visits, she can’t even sleep in the guest room, aka soap curing room, even if I put the soaps somewhere else. The residual scent - even when I did only EOs - sends her into an instant migraine.

So, I think there’s a market for it. But I’ve heard others say that their unscented soaps never sell, or only sell very slowly. Probably depends in part on where you live.

I know there are people who prefer unscented soap. I have a lot of soaps that I keep in my bathroom closet and rotate using, and rarely do I use an unscented one. I love the smells. Aside from scent sensitivities, my sister has severe eczema, and can only use unscented soap, shampoo, detergent, etc. So that's another reason people would want their soap unscented. Making a batch to sell so there is the option available has the advantage of no worries about scent fading when it sits for a year or two.

Might be a tad off topic. But i have a batch that lost all fragrance. I thought maybe it was my nose in a room full of soaps, but its the one that i have in the shower now and it definitely has no smell.

what do you call that on a label lol. I wouldnt want to say unscented, cause it does have fo in it, you just cant smell it. But i cant even say lightly scented.

It's not extremely popular for sales as others have said, but I personally LOVE using unscented, uncolored soap. As a soapmaker, I find it so satisfying to use it in its "purest" form, and it makes me focus on the recipe and quality when I'm using it, which I find really stimulating and pleasing. It has a slightly nutty scent that to me is so relaxing. But it depends on your personal preferences of course. :)

Might be a tad off topic. But i have a batch that lost all fragrance. I thought maybe it was my nose in a room full of soaps, but its the one that i have in the shower now and it definitely has no smell.

what do you call that on a label lol. I wouldnt want to say unscented, cause it does have fo in it, you just cant smell it. But i cant even say lightly scented.
Hmm, maybe say "hint of ___" on the label? That's tricky. If you really can't smell it AT ALL, and of course you don't want to mislead customers with your labeling, this batch might be best saved for just you or fam/friends that won't feel "disappointed" if they purchase and then smell nothing. I hope it's not a huge batch! Hate when this happens! Part of the FO/EO experimenting fun I guess. :)

I put those in my discount (misfits) basket. I leave it labeled as the scent.

Back