Does anybody do photography

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I need help picking out a camera. I have been doing lots and reading and learning the past few weeks. I want to get a decent dslr camera….not too fancy to break my bank, but still a good camera that I’m not gonna wish i bought something better to begin with. If that makes sense lol.

Right now i am looking at

Canon

The Canon rebel series is a good choice, I started with those and they served me well for many -many years. Eventually I moved to an intermediate 70D; but that was only when I felt I had reached the limits of the Rebel I had at that time (to take pictures in very dark environments). Lately I have switched to mirrorless cameras though, and they are definitely lighter but I love handling the Canon 70D still. For product photography, where you control the lighting for the most part, I feel that Canon is a solid choice.

I started out with the Sony NEX 3. It was mirrorless, but one of the first ones. It was a great camera to learn on, but it always left me wanting more. I then bought a Nikon D750. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it. Remember to consider the cost of your lenses too. I think you could pick up either a Canon or Nikon DSLR used at a decent price right now with everyone moving to mirrorless. Good luck!

I'm a Canon girl. I use an EOS 100D. It might be a little dated now? We bought it about 4-5 years ago. I have an extra lens (75mm-300mm)I use for a lot of my photography, but the lens that comes standard with the camera is perfect for doing product shots. I don't use the auto settings, I've only ever used it in manual mode.

Have the same question - following. My iPhone isn’t really cutting it.
That's just fiddlesticks. You can take great pics with your iPhone. Here's a blog I just found doing quick google search How to shoot crisp product photography - maybe try watching some youtube videos too? You don't need fancy lighting or backgrounds or anything of the sort either. I often use my outside chairs which are covered in black canvas as a back drop - great for bright coloured soap to make it pop.
These photos were all taken with my iPhone around home - inside, outside, using table tops, chairs, or whatever I had just lying around as backdrops.
260804539_261184269445028_7344370386921272664_n.jpg261983735_1074761436431694_1044077511469361744_n.jpg262070202_622470482398323_7623349879803175999_n.jpg262116612_894952121144462_6305447415755190795_n.jpg262253399_424991549164503_9109838113795548800_n.jpg262700448_3228876324059700_4031902068494773166_n.jpg262709044_627775298373350_1009986119972917431_n.jpg263488881_257602469694399_1292218713167641869_n.jpg

That's just fiddlesticks. You can take great pics with your iPhone. Here's a blog I just found doing quick google search How to shoot crisp product photography - maybe try watching some youtube videos too? You don't need fancy lighting or backgrounds or anything of the sort either. I often use my outside chairs which are covered in black canvas as a back drop - great for bright coloured soap to make it pop.
These photos were all taken with my iPhone around home - inside, outside, using table tops, chairs, or whatever I had just lying around as backdrops.
View attachment 63145View attachment 63146View attachment 63147View attachment 63148View attachment 63149View attachment 63150View attachment 63151View attachment 63152
You’re kind, and your photos are always beautiful, I love your Instagram posts. I have a light box and lights, but I feel like the color is always off, that my phone adjusts too much based on the background, if that makes any sense. Then I end up fiddling with the exposure, tint, etc of the image but I’m never really thrilled with the outcome. Maybe I’m too picky. Thanks so much for the link- I will keep researching.

You’re kind, and your photos are always beautiful, I love your Instagram posts. I have a light box and lights, but I feel like the color is always off, that my phone adjusts too much based on the background, if that makes any sense. Then I end up fiddling with the exposure, tint, etc of the image but I’m never really thrilled with the outcome. Maybe I’m too picky. Thanks so much for the link- I will keep researching.
Replica surfaces youtube videos have some really good tips on how to adjust iPhone pictures in (I think its the lightroom app). I personally use PS express because I prefer it but the same basic rules apply as long as you can find where the adjustment options are. One perk to Lightroom is you can save presets...so I really should learn to use it as I do spend a long time adjusting each photo.

I feel the same way about my iphone (it is an older one) and I know the newer ones seem to do better. Under the same lighting, my camera does a better job than my old phone. That being said, I find that the lighting for a lot of lightboxes is too weak. Mostly the ones that have it built in, and it consists of a "chain" of small LED lights. If that is what you have, you may want to consider adding your own lights (like desk lamps with a daylight bulb). I had made a DIY lightbox and used it with desk lamps before, I included a link to the tutorial I followed, and the light bulbs I use here.

Replica surfaces youtube videos have some really good tips on how to adjust iPhone pictures in (I think its the lightroom app). I personally use PS express because I prefer it but the same basic rules apply as long as you can find where the adjustment options are. One perk to Lightroom is you can save presets...so I really should learn to use it as I do spend a long time adjusting each photo.
That’s a good tip I will check them out. I was tempted by the Replica surfaces but they are $$$ and really more than I need.
I feel the same way about my iphone (it is an older one) and I know the newer ones seem to do better. Under the same lighting, my camera does a better job than my old phone. That being said, I find that the lighting for a lot of lightboxes is too weak. Mostly the ones that have it built in, and it consists of a "chain" of small LED lights. If that is what you have, you may want to consider adding your own lights (like desk lamps with a daylight bulb). I had made a DIY lightbox and used it with desk lamps before, I included a link to the tutorial I followed, and the light bulbs I use here.
Thank you! I actually have two stand-alone Led lights that I use with the light box lights, that have adjustable tone, but I still can’t seem to get it looking the way I want it to.

Latest posts

Back