Does a vinegar based cleaner need a preservative

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi I am going to try making a vinegar infused with lemon peel cleaner.
It will be diluted 30/70 with water. Does it need a preservative?
I am uk based.
Many thanks

I make a citrus cleaning vinegar as well. I love it! As long as you remove the peels after a couple of weeks infusion it is fine without a preservative. I even add a bit of soapnuts liquid or a little Dr. Bronners Sal Suds on occasion. Depending on what I'm using it to clean.

I make a citrus cleaning vinegar as well. I love it! As long as you remove the peels after a couple of weeks infusion it is fine without a preservative. I even add a bit of soapnuts liquid or a little Dr. Bronners Sal Suds on occasion. Depending on what I'm using it to clean.
Soapnuts works in vinegar?

Soapnuts works in vinegar?

In liquid form it does. I don't put a lot in, just a little, I don't like it too sudsy for certain jobs. You have to cook the soap nuts in water first to make a liquid. I make it into a liquid, then freeze in ice cube trays.

From http://soapnuts.pro/
Add soap nut shells to plain tap water in a stew pot or similar. The ratio will determine the strength of your liquid. (Leave the seeds if your soap nuts have them. They neither help nor hurt anything when making liquid.) Bring to a boil. The liquid will suds up a lot – and quickly, so keep an eye on it. Simmer a long time – until the shells have become virtually white or colorless. Target getting your liquid to a strong tea-like color. Just experiment. Don’t expect it or try to get it to thicken. It will be watery. Allow to cool and then strain. Use the liquid however desired. If kept at room temperature, use within a few days. Refrigerate to extend its shelf life. The liquid may be frozen for use at a later date. (Some folks makes ice cubes. That’s a clever way to use to keep some handy for washing laundry or a small cleaning job.) Compost or mix all remains in soil. Water yard or plants with any old liquid. Your plants will love it! Absolutely nothing is wasted.

Latest posts

Back