Quantcast

Do Your Lard Soaps Gel?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Judiraz

Reaction score
I just started making lard soaps about 5 weeks ago. I haven't had one batch gel yet! Is that normal?

Dorymae

Reaction score
Mine do but it is hot here, hasn't been under 100 in weeks. What are you doing to encourage gel?

Seawolfe

Reaction score
Mine do, but I put my high lard or OO soaps Under cover and sometimes on a whelping mat to help them along.

commoncenz

Reaction score
It's hit or miss with me. All my recipes contain lard and I Insulate with a couple of towels. Sometimes they gel and sometimes they don't. Lately however, I've noticed that while the soap underneath my top layer feels like vaseline, I never see the gel appear on top. I kinda "gently" felt the top of a couple of batches with my index finger that seemed to get hot, but didn't show gelling on top.

shunt2011

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Mine all gel. I generally just wrap them well in some towels. I have wood molds with silicone liners and wooden lids. But, I always use a milk in my soaps so that likely helps too.

Susie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine gel. I place another mold upside down over mine to protect the top, then wrap the whole thing in a folded beach towel. Matter of fact, I have to watch mine to prevent overheating. I often find that mine need unwrapping for a short while somewhere in the first four hours.

DeeAnna

Reaction score
It depends on your mold shape and size too. If your soap is in individual bar molds or in a slab mold, it will not gel as easily as it will in a loaf mold. Larger loaf molds gel easier than smaller ones.

My soaps usually gel in my loaf molds; each of my molds is large enough to hold about 3 lb of fats. My slab mold is sized to hold the same amount of fats, but soap in it doesn't gel nearly as easily.

I did three batches this past week that contained 60% to 75% lard, and all three gelled. I covered them lightly with a tea towel and set them close to each other on the stove-top grates. One (the 75% lard recipe) even started to crack slightly, so I pulled it out, uncovered it, and put a fan on it for a bit until it cooled down. The air temperature was about 80 deg F.

In the cooler months (fall, winter, spring), I often put the molds in my oven to finish saponifying. Lately I haven't even been warming the oven -- just the heat from a couple of batches of saponifying soap is enough to push the soap into gel.

Judiraz

Reaction score
DeeAnn, that's probably the answer. I generally don't gel my milk soaps and lately I've switched to either a 1# loaf or very small slab for my "experiments". I got tired of too much ugly soap :p.

I probably don't have enough mass to generate the heat to get these smaller molds gelling. Thanks for the thought.

Susie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, that's the answer. I use a loaf pan also that holds 32 oz oil batches.(3 lb total)

Latest posts