Do you use Sunflower Oil?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lane

Reaction score
I have really been wanting to use sunflower oil because of it's high amount of Vit.E and it's just so cheap compared to other oils!

On the oil:
Sunflower oil has large amounts of essential fatty acids as well as a high amount of Vitamin E. Refrigerate this oil to help increase the life of the oil. Some oil experts suggest a shorter shelf life than 6 months.

I've read this multiple places. I am afraid it will make my soap go bad because the oil has such a short shelf life. Has anyone had a problem with it at all??

I use it in a few recipes I do and always but a few drops of ROE in them. I use it up too quickly, though, for it to go bad on my shelf.

I use it in almost every soap recipe at 10 to 15% and I've never had a problem with it.

I started using Safflower at 10 to 15% along with the Sunflower and I'm really liking the combination.

How old are your sunflower safflower bars Doriso? I have read that both are very prone to DOS and have been resisting the urge to use them. I would love to try them though.

Marr

I have bars that are at least 8 months old...maybe older and there's no sign of DOS or rancidity.

Awesome. I found sunflower at a local grocery and really want to soap it.

Thanks!

Marr

doriso said:
I use it in almost every soap recipe at 10 to 15% and I've never had a problem with it.

I started using Safflower at 10 to 15% along with the Sunflower and I'm really liking the combination.

I tried using about 8% and got spots. :( But I rebatched it and the spots were gone...hmmmmmm....

I do love sunflower tho... I've never tried safflower...

I haven't used SUNflower oil but I have used SAFFlower oil and I really like that. And it's also high in Vit E as well.

I just found out i can buy it at a super walmart for $2.64 for a 24 oz which is a pretty good price.

Back