Do you use chelator in salt bar?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kumudini

Reaction score
I should be reading up on this, may be this was answered already, a quick search didn't find anything. Right now, I would really appreciate a quick answer. I have soft water only, still citric acid in my recipes made a significant difference in terms of scum in my bath tub and sinks. I know that salt is a water softener so, I'm not really sure if the salt bar needs a chelator. I used it in my previous batches, but really don't want to be wasting resources, esp the lye. So, let me know what do you do or what will you suggest I do. TIA for your replies.

K, I use EDTA in all of my bars. So I have no experiental/considered basis on which to suggest that it is not necessary, but I have super scummy water and use sea salt from the 99c store, so not knowing what the minerals/metals are in the salt, it makes sense to me to be safe rather than sorry and covered w/soap scum (as is the case if I don't use a chelator :)) At this point I would throw out a batch that generates the amount of scum that is created w/o a chelator, so using one is def. less wasteful for me.

Thanks B, the scum was never enough to warrant throwing anything out but,I prefer a really clean tub. So, I think I'll use the CA and extra lye this time. But I'm so making sodium citrate from CA and baking soda this evening. I'm finding that I'm running out of lye pretty fast these days.

I use CA/SC in all of my soaps. For the amount of extra lye needed to make SC, or even considering using baking powder instead of lye, it is just really not an expensive addtive

Is there a tutorial on the making of it? Is it solely to aid in hardening the bars? Or does it aid in the shelf life also? Thanks...

Salt (sodium chloride, table salt) does not, of itself, do anything to soften water. Salt is used to regenerate the ion-exchange resin in a home water softener, but it's the specialized nature of the resin that does the softening, not the salt. It's confusing, I know.

Yes, you can use sodium citrate or EDTA in your salt soap. Should be fine.

Latest posts

Back