Do you soak your herbs to prevent browning?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kellistarr

Reaction score
Hi all!

I made a peppermint soap, using peppermint leaves (ground), crushed spearmint and eucalyptus leaves. I gave the herbs a quick grind and added at trace. The soap came out great, but I was reading where it was suggested that any added herbs should get a soak, either in water or oil a few days before making the soap to prevent the "browning" that will ultimately happen once being incorporated into the soaps after several weeks. I'd like to know if you all have experienced the "brown effect" and if this is a necessary step I should take.

I know that Lavendar (especially if not ground) can do this brown thing. I once bought a commercial soap that had some rather large lavendar pieces in it- after about 2 years I saw that the pieces were brown. Of course, 2 years is quite awhile, but I'm talking like a few months later.
Anyone experience this with any herbs or botanicals used? When you add tea from tea bags, do you wet it or soak overnight?

Kellistar - thanks for asking that question!

Digit - OMG! I can't believe I missed those soaps! I am in soapy love, again!
Did you use another colorant? Or just the mint leaves? Fresh mint? Like from the garden?

Deda said:
.....OMG! I can't believe I missed those soaps! I am in soapy love, again!........
Thanks Deda.
smiley1712.gif
I used dried peppermint leaves I had purchased, made a strong tea, then drank it. I visited my neighbor's garden for the fresh springs used in the photos.
smiley1277.gif
For colorants, I used Select Shades.

Digit

Herbs

I was reading about steeping mint leafs in hot water like you'd make tea, let them dry, then add to soap. This sounds fine, but wouldn't you loose most of the fragrance from the leafs if you steeped them in hot water? I guess I was thinking that that was the reason for using mint leafs was for the fragrance.
Jeff

My purpose for using peppermint leaves and most any herb is for any color that I may get, any exfoliating properties, any possible scent that may make it through the process and any other skin care benefits that may come through. I think soap with herbs/botanicals are interesting to look at. I suppose I'd be ok with soaking herbs in oil (perhaps the oil I'd use for superfatting) a few days in advance, if I think of it. I just wondered if others think it's necessary.

Digit, that soap is beautiful. Very professional and worth all the effort you put into it. I love your molds.

smiley1712.gif
Thank you!! I used the leaves for eye appeal only. They are still holding, haven't turned nasty. Colorant was Select Shades by Tradewinds.

Digit

Well, I just did a quick 15 min research (would have been longer but real life is calling again :wink: ) on those SELECT SHADES and it seems that a $26 investment in 8 - 2oz. bottles of this colorant is in order! The color charts kinda blew my mind! pretty awesome.......

Peppermint Tea

digit said:
Deda said:
.....OMG! I can't believe I missed those soaps! I am in soapy love, again!........
Thanks Deda.
smiley1712.gif
I used dried peppermint leaves I had purchased, made a strong tea, then drank it. I visited my neighbor's garden for the fresh springs used in the photos.
smiley1277.gif
For colorants, I used Select Shades.

Digit
With a little drop of moonshine in the tea? :wink:

Back