Do you see any blue???

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orebma

Reaction score
I was making a batch for a friend and wanted to do a seascape..sand on the bottom, seaweed, then a dark blue for the sea, lighter blue for the sky and some golden sparkles on top. Everything that could go wrong went wrong with this batch. I managed to spill my Caustic soda when measuring it, I spilled my measured batch of oils and had to redo it all, I got Midnight Blue Mica powder over everythannnnng, my gold in glycerine drizzle was still 'wet' and fiiiinally...I was so impatient I cut into it before it was fully set but mostly - mostly I'm peeved that there isn't a trace of blue in the soap! Ideas???
20211017_063835.jpg
20211017_064444.jpg
20211017_065022.jpg

Ah, you had one of those days, poor thing😟

Was the blues PH stable, and to be used in cp soap? I had a dark blue that turned purple on me once, it was meant for M&P soaps and not cp, so I just wanted to see what happened when a mica that wasn`t ph stable was added to a caustic soapbatter. The color was very similar to yours.

That said - I know it wasn`t what you wanted, but can I say it still looks pretty. Different layers of purples (almost an eggplant color) and pink. But the "blobs" in there, they look almost blue on my monitor. Is it blue IRL?

IKR!? I checked the pack and the suppliers info on it and it is def for soap-making. In fact I've used it 3 times now and each time I got pinky tones instead of blue. (M&P, and 2 CP's) - each time I thought I'd done something wrong but I just think it must be faulty in some way now. I guess 3 times is what it takes me to learn my lesson lol. Yup - I like the end result although it isn't what I intended. The 'blobs' are pieces of dark green CP soap I made a while back and were supposed to look like seaweed.
The 'mica does look blue - a very dark blue but NO hint of pink in it

Then the fault is not yours, but the product. You got pink in M&P also, or did it stay blue then?

If it turned pink/purple even in M& this is not suitable for any type of soap. It may work in a more acidic environment, like bathbombs etc. Or nailpolish. But not soap.
I would absolutely get in touch with them and let them know. They may not be aware of the problem. It could be mislabeled, or something else could be wrong with it.

Honest and serious sellers are happy when they are made aware of any issues that could make others experience issues, because if the word spreads it will not only affect a soapmakers mica-line, it will also affect their bottom line.

You should not bare the cost of this issue.

In M&P I also got pink - an awful slurry pink. M&P isn't really my thing but I thought I'd give it a whirl and because of what happened I thought there must be something about the M&P process I'm not aware of so just kind of let it be. Then a while later I did a CP and got pink instead of blue and now this. I'll contact the supplier - I need blue!

Just rechecked the supplier's recomendations / reviews and NOW they're saying 'not recommended for CP' and I see someone else has posted a 'pink' issue

Well, that is good that they updated the information. However, that really doesn`t help those who was mislead by the initial description before they did that.

Let us know what they say about fixing this for you.

I have to say it may not be what you want but I love the moody mauve in this soap. It reminds me of dusk in the desert. Sorry you had a bad soaping day, we can all emphasize *hugs*

Latest posts

Back