Do you scoop or melt lard?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaylyn Valdez

Reaction score
I was wondering what the correct way to use lard is. I use the Manteca lard and I usually scoop, measure and put it in a bowl and then melt, but I was wondering if I needed to melt it first like palm oil, stir it to distribute the fatty acids, and then measure? Is palm the only oil like that?

Palm is the only solid oil of which I'm aware that calls for pre-melting to homogenize it. But there are those who don't even bother with that - I think @cmzaha maybe?
Great to know! Was worried I was going to mess up my batch so I’m glad that I don’t have to worry!

Palm is the only solid oil of which I'm aware that calls for pre-melting to homogenize it.
I've found that unrefined babaçu (and to some degree coconut too) tends a bit to separate at room temperature (20–22°C). By far not as annoying as palm oil, and then it is so soft that it's easy to whisk the sweat drops (spontaneously fractionated MCT oils) into the bulk.
I don't know if it was strictly necessary, but I felt safer to melt up the babaçu oil, transfer it into more practical jars at the same time, and let it solidify quickly (outside, winter). Storage well below 20°C (basement/fridge).

Palm is the only solid oil of which I'm aware that calls for pre-melting to homogenize it. But there are those who don't even bother with that - I think @cmzaha maybe?
You are correct, I do not pre melt my Palm. I scoop from different areas of the bucket if I buy regular palm. I highly recommend Not melting down your lard as you will break it down quicker causing it to go rancid quicker if you keep melting it over and over. This is why I would not buy new 50lb blocks of lard at the beginning of summer since I could not keep in cool enough to not meltdown, in my bucket/buckets I would find it did not last as long before going off.

You are correct, I do not pre melt my Palm. I scoop from different areas of the bucket if I buy regular palm. I highly recommend Not melting down your lard as you will break it down quicker causing it to go rancid quicker if you keep melting it over and over. This is why I would not buy new 50lb blocks of lard at the beginning of summer since I could not keep in cool enough to not meltdown, in my bucket/buckets I would find it did not last as long before going off.

I will take your advice for next time because melting down and mixing 44 pounds of organic palm oil was a huge pain in my patootie! LOL

Where do you buy your lard? I buy the 8lb tubs from Walmart but I am always running out!

Latest posts

Back