Do you melt your rebatch in oven?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CandiceW

Reaction score
Hey all,

So I was looking on the site you all mention (Bramble Berry) and saw they have another way to melt rebatch (in oven for 90min w/ 1 cup liquid)
So I was wondering if anyone does it this way? I am really considering it as I don't care to much for the boiling in baggies(#1 reason I did use heavy duty freezer bags but they opened when kneading.. just a mess and pita to deal with) So I really like how the instructions make it easier to work with and also like it will be thinner (so I can make swirl easy) And I don't mind that it takes longer to dry because I do want to turn out nice.
Anyone do it this way? Was/is it successful? Easy to work with like I think from just reading?

Thanks!

I'm in the minority here, but I add just enough milk to moisten my shredded soap, and then I heat it, covered in the microwave on 50% power until the shreds look translucent.

I do mine in the cp on low. But I'm not real good with the stove, I'll forget to shut it off and it could stay on for days and I'd never know it. Basically for me with cooking, if it can't be cp'd, microwaved, or delivered it simply isn't going to happen. My kitchen is used more for soaping and other projects than it is for cooking, God forbid, food.

:lol: :lol:
Well I have a timer in the kitchen and I do okay cooking, I guess that is why I considered.

What is a cp?
And what kind of milk do you add?

CP = crock pot

I use water as I don't make milk soaps, yet. I'm working up the courage and finances to do so. For now I've been doing lard or olive oil or a combination of both. I love my olive oil soaps with a little sugar. To rebatch I just grate it up and add a little water to help it melt, turn it on low and re-cook to correct consistency the glop in the molds.

Oh interesting, did not know you can cook up in crock pot..
So how this post says CP soap forum, does that mean Crock Pot soap forum?
(sorry dumb question but I have no clue! All so new to me)

LOL, not sure really. I believe it usually means "cold processed" but cphp is a common term for "crock pot hot processed". CPHP is the only way I do soap, I'm not patient enough for cold process. Run a search on this forum, there is lots of good information on how to do cphp soaping.

thanks!
I'm actually going to look more in to. I can not cook soap in kitchen because I know the lye puts of fumes, so maybe this would be an option for me, can plug crock pot in garage. (I have parrots in kitchen area so NO good for them!) that is why I tried rebatch.. Off to search now!

I rebatch mine in the oven but it can be done in the crock pot.

Just fill your crock pot with your shredded or chunked up soap, fill with water to cover, stir around a bit, (I use my hand) then pour off all of the water. (There will be enough water remaining on the soap to add the extra moisture you'll need)
Turn the crock on low and wait until it's all melted, stirring occasionally. Then add your fragrance or other additives and mold it up.

Good Luck~

I shred my soap in a food processer and then cook in a double boiler with the desired liquid usually fresh goatsmilk and sometimes water. I just spent two days rebatching to get rid of all my rejects so right now i'm sick of shredded soap lol.

I had an opportunity to try this tonight on a small batch of soap I made this morning. I cut it up roughly into fairly large chunks (no grating) and put it in microwave for 3 minutes, using 30 second bursts so I didn't burn it. That's it! Worked like a charm because the soap was so fresh I think. I didn't add any liquid because of the high lye discount I had originally used - maybe I should have?

Today was also my first experience with cooked soap. Not sure whether I like it yet. :wink:

hmmm - well if it worked then it worked. but let me think about the lye/water thing.

in your initial soaping you used a substantial lye discount, which probably means you used LESS water to dissolve it in and so had less water in your soap - so perhaps you'd want extra water for the rebatching

BUT

because your soap had this lye discount it had extra oil which is going to be more fluid during the rebatchand wont' evaporate - so perhaps you would NOT want extra water for the rebatching

GAH! I hate questions with no clear answer LOL.

HOWEVER - when rebatching FRESH soap you usually don't have to add more liquid, or very little anyway.

Back