do you make scents that you really cant stand?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really love lavender and it's always been my most popular soap besides honey and oatmeal. Last month I ordered a few scents and there were 2 I will never like or soap. I don't think they would have appeal to that many people if any at all.

Scentapy said:
I do not like florals or anything too perfumey.

Honey *L'Occitane* type by EBB is the most disgusting fragrance oil (so far) that I have ever, ever smelled.... and I like Honey fragrances.

If it's the same one that I got from Big Tree here in Oz, it nearly killed me. Another one that made me sick and gave me a headache. 6 months later, the soap (which was very pretty) ended up in the bin. The reviews of this fragrance were great. :shock:

Patchouli- Aged or not- it still smells the same like BO or Dirty Feet or something. It's pure nasty in a bottle.

Daystars Honey I Washed the Kids dupe- ewwwww!!! This did not do well in HP soap with Cocoa Butter- those who smelled it liked it but I couldn't even sell it. I just tossed the batch, it just wasn't sitting well with me.

Daystars Felicity- Now I know why it was on Clearance- it smells like your Grandma's cloying perfume. It's just bad...

I know there are more but they aren't coming to me.

I have given in to customer demand and I am testing straight lavenders at the moment, I only like one Lavender and it is the Manuka Wrap Lavender from Elements :0) I am so not a fan of lavenders :(

Lyn said:
I have given in to customer demand and I am testing straight lavenders at the moment, I only like one Lavender and it is the Manuka Wrap Lavender from Elements :0) I am so not a fan of lavenders :(

I like that one too- wish it was stronger.

Although I'm a new soaper, I have some experience in EO blending due to aromatherapy and I'm huge fan of woody and citrus oils but I hate lemongrass. I have tried to mix it with other EO but everytime I recognize the smell and I hate the whole blend. Recently I found that I don't like rosemary too but I must admit that there are a lot of nice blends with it. I have no experience in soap making with FO until now but I'll give a try someday. By the way I love love love patchouli!

I am so glad to see that one other hated BAY RUM. Yuck! That one is one I may never be able to soap with again and my hubby can't use it either. I do like straight up lavender, but I think the idea of lavender and vanilla sounds wonderful.

you know whats amazing? Lavender & "vanilla Oak" from Bramble berry
I combine these two for my own signature scent that my customers rave about. Its interesting because people who dislike either regular sweet vanilla & or Lavender are very surprised & say they love this combo.

Bubbles Galore said:
If it's the same one that I got from Big Tree here in Oz, it nearly killed me. Another one that made me sick and gave me a headache. 6 months later, the soap (which was very pretty) ended up in the bin. The reviews of this fragrance were great. :shock:

Sounds like they are the same... or very similar because this scent was so hideous that it made me nauseous. Yes... the reviews were great which is what prompted me to try it. I love Honey fragrances but NOT this one!! LOL.

Scentapy said:
Bubbles Galore said:

Sounds like they are the same... or very similar because this scent was so hideous that it made me nauseous. Yes... the reviews were great which is what prompted me to try it. I love Honey fragrances but NOT this one!! LOL.

The strong chemical smell that comes from it is hideous. Re-reading some of the reviews, I note that it should be used in smaller quantities than normal as it's very strong. Seeing as I have nearly all of a 100ml bottle left, I'm wondering whether I should dare to try it again?

Lyn said:

Just reading about this scent on the Elements site. Ugh, it says to add a bit of L'occitane Honey if you want more of a honey scent - don't do it. :shock: Have you tried just the straight essential oils Lyn?

Patchouli, blech! I do make it but I blend it with Cedar. People love Patchouli but I don't understand why you would want to smell like you've been traveling with The Dead and and haven't bathed in a month.

(I love lavender - yes, cliche - but I really don't sell that much of it)

I absolutely adore lavender. It reminds me of when I was a kid, and my mom bought me fancy soap. Fancy soap for us was of course yardley of london from the dollar store. I know better now, but back then it was a luxury.

Lavender blended with patchouli and vanilla is nice as well. The woodsy patchouli smell takes the harsher tones off of the lavender floral, and the vanilla sweetens the mix. It's very soft if done correctly.

I HATE, absolutely despise Tea Tree. OMG, just the smell makes me want to throw up.

OMG I mixed brandied pear with chocolate fudge and I got peasoup /
bacon ham smell out,it was soooo disgusting.I rebatched yesterday....
I can't stand jasmine and honeysuckle.

I soaped some Cool Water the other night and I think it morphed into smelling like cleaner but my daughter didn't think it smelled too bad. It was a free sample I got and I just couldn't stand it soaped. Some scents are better off never cp'd.

I CANNOT stand the smell of Vanilla. Even if it's a mixture of vanilla/cherry, or lavender/vanilla....Eeeew NO WAY!!!!! I won't make any soap that has even a wee bit of vanilla in it.

My son thinks it's funny and will buy me vanilla candles, which I will throw out or give them away.

Aside from Lavender (which I love) I hate floral scents especially "rose".
and cool water type (like the mens cologne).

I'm a Fruit scent kindda girl. Citrus is my fav.

I cannot stand Black Vetiver Cafe - it makes me feel physically ill. I made some and had to throw it out.

Ditto for EBB's Honey L'Occitane and Southern Soapers Honey Bee which smell the same to me. Maybe as a minor note in a blend they'd be alright. But OOB, they smell like stale, overly sweet pee to me. Sorry!

I don't get Green Irish Tweed - it smells innocuously clean and soapy to me but no more than that. My kids say it smells like "hotel soap."

Pink Sugar makes me feel vaguely nauseated but I haven't tried TSW's version so the jury's still out on this one.

However, I have yet to meet an EO I didn't like, including patchouli and lavender.

Happily, as I'm just a hobbyist, I can make what pleases me.

Oh I lovvvvve lavender. I have a french lavender EO that is just amazing. I am a patchouli hater though, lol. My friend made a orange soap with a speck of patchouli, she hates it too, but tried this blend and I actually liked it. I am tempted to try it now.

I made Lettuce from BB. It was horrible. I have used it in lotion and m&p and had no problems, but it does not CP. It was gagable. That whole batch didn't work, it separated, the fragrance morphed, just ugh.

Back