Do you insulate? Updated with photo OR 2 Gel or not 2 Gel...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loveit_latherit

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have read about skipping the gelling. I have read about people putting in Freezer and in fridge.

What it your consensus? Have you done fridge, freezer or just left out on table? I know it all eventually turns to soap - but how long do you let cure? I have read for freezer about 2 weeks longer since you skipped gel...

Last night as an experiment I left 2 loafs not insulated and that look lovely. But more opaque than my insulated ones - which I don't mind the look. One is in the mold and the white is unmolded.

[IMG=http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/9633/img00031201005251108.jpg][/IMG]

thanks ewenique!
Here it is cut and the 3 that are still in the mold were insulated. I took out after 15 hours. A bit early - I usually wait 24 hours, but sometimes had overheating - this time a little ash instead - Still trying to find the best balance. Room is 77 Degress F.

1st one: Peppermint Basil Sage EO's
2nd: Starwberry Rhubarb FO
3rd top: Sweet Orange EO
Middle: Tea Tree EO plain (no color)
Bottom: Peppermint with blue and green mica mixed for color

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

GAJenny said:
awww those are soo pretty! What kind of mold are you using?
Thanks! I made my own - got tired of lining my boxes.
I cut cardboard to fit my wood boxes I made and used vinyl contact paper on the paperboard/cardboard so the soap comes out. I tape corners when I make the loaves and cut at the corner seams to release from my mold. :) I pour 36oz batches and gets me 11 - 12 bars.

Lovely! I'm still experimenting with insulate & gel or not. I suppose it depends on the recipe. Sometimes I get overheating when covering with a towel or CPOPing, although I usually RTCP.

Thanks again ewenique. I only do room temp. I'm restricted from the kitchen with my soap making! Lol

Anyone have any input? I'd love to hear points of view and experiences. Thanks :)

I am kinda new to this CP soaping about 4 mos. now, Question: why would you skip the gelling stage?
I actually forgot to cover a couple bars in a mold and the soap still hasn't hardened..
Does skipping this stage do something special to the soap??

Deb

Hi SoaperBee - essentially I posted this and hopefully we will get some answers shortly wondering what you asked too:)

I have researched and seems that 'now a days' it is believed that the gelling portion of the process is not imperative. But that the bars come out harder and are cured in the times that are recommended (4-8 weeks) and the ones that have not gone through gelling are more opaque in color and take another few weeks as to cure (some say 2 - 3 weeks more). I have read that some people like it better when gelled, some without! So just wanted to get some soapers opinions on here who have been soaping and have tried the gamut of procedures and what they think.

As for my experiment - The 2 loafs came out lovely - they seem a bit softer - not too much - upon unmolding - but no cracking due to overheating, no oozing of FO or EO, no winkling or bubbles from overheating and released from my mold nicely. ??? So I would love to hear from others :) I do like the bit more transparent look from non insulated and there was a little ash on the non insulated (you can see in the photo) but it seems that there may be more stages where something can happen and you don't know it because you aren't supposed to peek.

I gel most of my soap, sometimes I have a little left over and I put that in a cute plastic mold, so I guess thats ungelled! It is def different colored, Im happy with my gelled soap, unless I get a partial gel, hate that!

I LOVE ungelled soap. I love the creamy appearance and texture. I put mine in the freezer overnight and then let sit for another 36 hrs or so before I unmold and cut. To me, it's easier to just put the soap in the freezer instead of making sure it heats up enough somewhere to gel.

holly99 said:
I LOVE ungelled soap. I love the creamy appearance and texture. I put mine in the freezer overnight and then let sit for another 36 hrs or so before I unmold and cut. To me, it's easier to just put the soap in the freezer instead of making sure it heats up enough somewhere to gel.
Thanks for the input!! How long do you let it cure? Do you find they are as hard as bars that went through gel? How about your FO's and EO's? do they come out different? Do you use less FO/EO? So many questions! Thanks for the contribution to the thread! Looks like many have read so I think lots of ppl want to know :)

loveit_latherit said:
holly99 said:
Thanks for the input!! How long do you let it cure? Do you find they are as hard as bars that went through gel? How about your FO's and EO's? do they come out different? Do you use less FO/EO? So many questions! Thanks for the contribution to the thread! Looks like many have read so I think lots of ppl want to know :)

I let my soap cure the usual amount of time, 4+ weeks. I tend to start using some at 2 weeks but that is just for myself because I'm so eager to try it if it's a new design/scent. I follow the same usage as gelled soaps for EOs and FOs. I have a batch that I forced gel and also had some of the same batter that did not gel and I can tell no difference in the strength of the EO, lather, etc. The only difference for me is in appearance only, especially with milk soaps. The soap is definitely softer at the beginning of the cure and I think I have challenges cutting my soap because of that, but otherwise, it gets nice and hard just like the gelled.

holly99 said:
loveit_latherit said:
holly99 said:

I let my soap cure the usual amount of time, 4+ weeks. I tend to start using some at 2 weeks but that is just for myself because I'm so eager to try it if it's a new design/scent. I follow the same usage as gelled soaps for EOs and FOs. I have a batch that I forced gel and also had some of the same batter that did not gel and I can tell no difference in the strength of the EO, lather, etc. The only difference for me is in appearance only, especially with milk soaps. The soap is definitely softer at the beginning of the cure and I think I have challenges cutting my soap because of that, but otherwise, it gets nice and hard just like the gelled.

Thank you very much for all the details!! :)

Thanks for your input zajanatural. Seems like there are so many opinions! I guess maybe our recipes also have something to do with differences?

Latest posts

Back