Do you have a good face cream recipe?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OnceUponATime

Reaction score
I've been browsing this forum for a few months. Started off wanting to make lotions and got caught off taking soap classes for melt and pour and then CP. I haven't tried the CP yet but am getting very close to trying my first batch.

However, my question has to do with lotions. I got fed up with all those expensive face creams out there loaded with fragrances. I just cannot tolerate the fragrance. There are loads that have the texture and everything right but the scent will give me a headache. I've tried 3 recipes so far and am not happy with any of them. The first I got somewhere on the web and it was the best out of the 3 but I found it too oily. After a few days I noticed even my hair was getting oily (maybe getting transferred from my hands?) . The next two batches were from the book "Making Aromatherapy Creams & Lotions' by Donna Maria. I have to say I have not been thrilled with this book. Most of the recipes have far too many ingredients in it that I don't have. I don't want to go out buying all this stuff if I find I don't like the recipe afterwards. The first recipe I made from this book I had to make quite a few substitutions. The cream came out super super super thick. So I added more water. LOADS more water to make it a nice consistencey. Then afterwards it was too watery because when I used it on my face it didn't moisturize very well. Then the next batch was a bit more simpler and I followed it exactly but I still didn't like the consistency. Still too thick and this time some of it may be my fault as I don't think the oils/wax got mixed with the water

I'd like to hear from any who've had experience in this before I try another batch. What oils were best? (I tried olive oil but don't like it much. maybe I had the wrong olive oil) Is borax necessary?( I used this but am afraid of my cats coming in contact with it when I've got it on my skin) Is a preservative necessary? (Liquid Germal Plus has a smell to it that I don't like) Beeswax or veg. emulsifying wax? (I used the E-Wax).

Hi there!

I am not into making lotions at this stage, so cannot help with a complex recipe for you....however I can give you a very simple one you may like to try until you find your perfect blend :wink: I got this from care2.com:-

INGREDIENTS
1/2 cup aloe vera gel
1/8 cup vegetable glycerin

Combine the ingredients, stirring well to combine, and store in a glass jar with a screw top. (The formula will keep for about 4 months.)
To use, apply a dab to clean, damp skin and gently massage it in.
Makes about 5/8 cup.

HTH!

Tanya :)

Thanks Tanya. It will probably get me by while I'm trying to find that perfect recipe. I didn't realize it would be such a challenge. It's good most of the batches are tiny (3-5 oz) because I've wasted oils on the last 3 batches.

Simple Facial Moisturizer

I started making my own facial moisturizer abotu a year ago....after Mary kay (my mother and I sold it) started to break us both out. We used it for many years. I suppose our skin began to change with age.

So, I created my own. It is very simple and thus inexpensive to make.

I use Jojoba oil. No other carrier oil. Just jojoba. You could probably use almond oil. Since it too does not clog pores. But I prefer Jojoba. Plus, it is known for it's penetrating properties.

Then, I use a vegetable based emulsifier.
*Different emulsifiers will give you different finished feels*
*Type in lotion emulsifiers on the web and you can read about all the different kinds and what type of characteristics they have*

Your stearic acid, distilled Water and preservative.

That's it. You can tweak it to get your prefered consistency.

I have very sensitive skin, as does my mother.

We both, also have oily but itchy scalps.

This does not aggrevate them.

It is actually the only cream my mother has been able to use, other than the expensive and unhealthy steriod creams the dermatologist use to prescribe her.

The percentages for a cream (thicker than lotion) are:
Water Base: 60 - 75%
Oil Base: 20 - 30%
with rest of percentages being emulsifier, preservative and any additives to equal 100 % .

I like to add tea tree oil to mine. But my mother prefers it basic.
Either way, it's great!

Also, my mother wears make up. And told me that it does very well under her makeup base.

My aunt told me, once she started using my homemade soaps along with my moisturizer...her breakouts started to clear up.

Just some tidbits for you to think about.

Hope that helps!

Hi! I got this recipe from Janice Cox´s 'Natural Beauty at Home' book and i have to say i love it , i use it for my face, hands , legs, arms, feet, everything. And because its totally natural i use it on my toddler and baby too. You might want to consider that it is a little greasy but with the cold weather in sweden and the wind, this is perfect. Maybe not the best for the summer, i don't know haven't tried it in the heat yet. Melts on the skin like nothing you've ever used. Heres the recipe:
1/4 cup coconut oil
2 tbs stearic acid
1/2 cup distilled water (i sometimes use rose water or orange blossom water for a very subtle fragrance)
1/2 tsp baking soda.

So in a glass jar (both of the jars in a water bath on the stove) melt the oil and stearic acid. In another jar dissolve the baking soda into the water and bring almost to boil. The slowly pour in the water solution into the oils solution while stirring(i use a chopstick, works well), It will foam. Pour into a container and let cool.

blue hill said:
Hi! I got this recipe from Janice Cox´s 'Natural Beauty at Home' book and i have to say i love it , i use it for my face, hands , legs, arms, feet, everything. And because its totally natural i use it on my toddler and baby too. You might want to consider that it is a little greasy but with the cold weather in sweden and the wind, this is perfect. Maybe not the best for the summer, i don't know haven't tried it in the heat yet. Melts on the skin like nothing you've ever used. Heres the recipe:
1/4 cup coconut oil
2 tbs stearic acid
1/2 cup distilled water (i sometimes use rose water or orange blossom water for a very subtle fragrance)
1/2 tsp baking soda.

So in a glass jar (both of the jars in a water bath on the stove) melt the oil and stearic acid. In another jar dissolve the baking soda into the water and bring almost to boil. The slowly pour in the water solution into the oils solution while stirring(i use a chopstick, works well), It will foam. Pour into a container and let cool.

That was actually the very first book I bought...that got me into natural bath and body products. that was my very 1st hand at making lotion! I still have that book and use it from time to time. Great buy!

Back