Do you do both? ....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

holistichonnies

Reaction score
Do you 'zap' test AND check pH levels in your soaps? or do you just do one.

This may sound like a dumb question but what pH should soaps be when fully cured??? is it the same pH as water ... 7???ish

Soap is a salt, so it should always be above 7. There is more of a range rather than a set pH as each recipe will result in a different mix of oils and lye making the soap.

Personally, I only need to know if the soap is safe. pH cannot tell me that, but zap testing can. Once I know it is safe, what do I need a pH for? There would be no harm in it, sure, but then actually no real benefit. If people who want to use my soap need to know the pH before they'll use it, I'll ask them what pH they want. If 7, they can go and use some Dove rather than actual soap.

I have not had accurate enough readings to trust strips. One strip will read 8, the next 9, the next 7.5 on the same bar of soap. I have tried multiple techniques on the test and multiple brands of pH strips. Zap test is a fine way to go, I'm almost developing a liking for my soap lickings. I have never had a bar that zaps, but I don't test them till they have cured 30+ days (depends on recipe).

How EXCITING! I just got zapped! I made soap last night and have never been zapped so this morning I barely touched my tongue on the corner of the loaf and yep ZAP! I actually wanted to see what this zap thing was so now I know, and its not so bad but I barely touched it. Touching a 9volt battery with your tongue describes it well.

And now you never have to wonder if the soap is safe yet or not. You just stick your tongue out and know for sure. Peace of mind and no more fidgeting with pH strips.

Safer yet is to lightly rub your fingertip on the soap and lightly touch fingertip to tongue. If I get zapped, I rinse my mouth well with water and wait awhile before doing another check. If the fingertip check is okay, then I figure it's okay to do a direct tongue-to-soap check.

I often do this fingertip version of the zap test to minimize the chance of harm. Sometimes I zap test at a point in soapmaking where most folks would wait, just because I'm willing to get zapped (or not!) for the sake of satisfying my scientific curiosity. :Kitten Love:

Latest posts

Back