Do you Blog ??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lin19687

Reaction score
Do you have a Blog on your Webpage?
How often do you post a new blog ?
Do you make money from the blogging? Separate form the soaps I mean.
I have a Blog section on my Webpage. I don't put much on there, there are only 3 posts so far. 1 as a Hello and 2 for local updates.

Not sure how often I will post on there as I doubt that I get many that even read it for now.
But the future is alwasy promising and you never know when it may help your selling.

So it got me thinking of how many really keep up with blogging. And those that do, are they short, uber long ...

I don't blog, but I read blogs. I've seen some blogs that were really good at one time, but the author hasn't published a post in years. Or the posts ended up going really weird with long off-topic posts or uncomfortable stream-of-consciousness stuff.

If you truly want to make money at blogging, from what I can tell, you have to do what it takes to get and keep affiliates and sponsors. Or you can use your blog as a way to drive customers to your e-commerce website. Or you can do both.

Regardless of your reasons for blogging, you have to write on a regular basis. Maybe not long posts. But often -- once a week or once every two weeks. And topics have to be interesting to your audience and well photographed. No long apologies, diatribes, or super off-topic stuff. Spell checked. Good sentence structure. Crisp, interesting photos.

One of the reasons I started blogging was to keep track of what I was doing at the time. It's a way for me to chronicle what I'm making, whether it's knitting, cooking, painting, soap making... all of it. If anyone else cares to read it, great. Personally, I don't blog to make money; that's just way too much work when you already have a full time job and multiple hobbies.

I’ve been researching blogging for a few years and, like usual, DeeAnna has the basics down. The more you post and the better your editing the better it turns out. Pinterest has a ton of good advice if your willing to put in some time to read through it.

PM me if you’re interested, I’ll link you one of my boards. (It'ssuper unorganized but I’m starting to work on that)

Hi, thanks all.
No I don't want to make money on it, I was just curious. I did read up on that and , no , that is way too much time consuming to get into. I have Far too many other 'wasteful' things that I do ;)

I am trying to do it at least once a week. TY for the FB idea, I should post what I have on my blog on there too.

Pinterest is not my place to go. I don't like the fact that you HAVE to sign in to read it. When you click on something you want to read it just shows a picture and not the direct article. With those issues I just don't go on there. If I have to click, log in, click, click seriously I can't be bothered. sorry no offense, that is just my history with them and it irritates me.

I too have read blogs that just go on and on and way off track sometimes. Some off tracks are funny or good points but if you can't keep on subject through most of the blog then , yes, please stop writing :oops:

https://www.rusticlifefarm.com/page-5 This is my blog page so far. Not too long and more about the FM. I made sure to tell people what is at the FM for them to buy. NOT just my things, not just about me. The FM does not advertise the FM so I am trying to with what I can.

I'm on the fence about Pinterest too. A lot of times I think I end up at some Pinterest page that a computer has artificially generated, rather than looking at a real person's curated Pinterest page. I dislike that.

Like you, Lin, I don't like that a person has to have an account to view Pinterest, but I finally decided that, hey, it's their party, and they get to set the rules. So I signed up and use it occasionally to find stuff. When I want to really drill into a topic, however, I often set my searches up so "pinterest" is excluded from the results, so the search results are real websites.

I'm on the fence about Pinterest too. A lot of times I think I end up at some Pinterest page that a computer has artificially generated, rather than looking at a real person's curated Pinterest page. I dislike that.

Like you, Lin, I don't like that a person has to have an account to view Pinterest, but I finally decided that, hey, it's their party, and they get to set the rules. So I signed up and use it occasionally to find stuff. When I want to really drill into a topic, however, I often set my searches up so "pinterest" is excluded from the results, so the search results are real websites.
I gave up pinterest when they stopped showing the pinner's name at the bottom of the pictures. I like knowing whether a pin is from a friend or trusted pinner BEFORE I click through, and not one that Pinterest picked for me. I also search with -pinterest to avoid hits from pinterest. I will still pop over there when I need a quick craft idea or to find the things I have pinned myself.

I used too, but I just couldn't keep up with it on a regular basis with working full-time, and creating during my spare time, so I don't. Once I'm either retired or semi retired, I will start up with my blog again (if they are still relevant by then!) and probably update about once a week or so...

I used to have a blog for my book reviews - back when I had time to read 100 books a year. I gave it up a few years ago, but kept up on blog reading (@Misschief your blog was one that I kept up on!) but even that has ended as many of the bloggers I read stopped. I've been going back and forth in my own head whether I want a blog on my website too. If I can get my act together and stop chasing my tail doing things that don't make me money, I will probably make a once a week attempt to post... but geez, right now I can't even manage to get my once a month newsletter done.

I mean, yes and no. I have one where I reviewed some makeup. Then i added a few entries sbout menstrual cups since I’ve seen a ton of info in english but not that much in spanish, felt i could contribute to it. I may write something new, maybe even about soaps, but its not something I wouls so regularly. Just every once in a while with things that interest me.

I used to have a blog for my book reviews - back when I had time to read 100 books a year. I gave it up a few years ago, but kept up on blog reading (@Misschief your blog was one that I kept up on!) but even that has ended as many of the bloggers I read stopped. I've been going back and forth in my own head whether I want a blog on my website too. If I can get my act together and stop chasing my tail doing things that don't make me money, I will probably make a once a week attempt to post... but geez, right now I can't even manage to get my once a month newsletter done.

I'm trying very hard to write more often. The goal is to chronicle each of my soaps so they have a back story. Time does tend to get away from me, though.

I subscribe to a couple of blogs that have more than one person doing the writing. This kind of collaborative thing might be something to consider -- the writing workload is lighter for each person and there's added motivation created by working as a team. And the multiple voices add interest to the blog.

One blog Felting and Fiber Studio is about wet felting, another hobby of mine. There are 3 authors -- one in the UK, one in the western US, and one in Canada. I have no idea how they know each other, but they work well together. They each take turns writing posts. Some articles are broken up into 2-3 posts, others are single articles in 1 post.

The other multi-author blog is Our Best Bites written by 2 long-time friends. One now lives in the southern US and the other is in Utah, I believe. They take turns writing about cooking, raising young kids, fitness, and such. They send out about 1 post per week.

Back