Do these look like glycerin rivers?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klabeth

Reaction score
hi! More woes with scaling up to large batches of goat milk soap.
Had great success with 62 lbs batch, but now at 110 lbs, it looks like this (see pic).
Here’s the backstory: I’m using Shea butter, olive oil, and coconut oil. The oils were 95*
Lye solution is 2% superfat mixed with frozen goat milk at 30% water/milk discount. Lye solution heated up to 97* when I poured it into the oils. At trace, it was 106* and we poured, insulated, and got a nice gel with temps that reached 159*. The biggest difference here is that the soap didn’t crack like it did with the smaller batches, even though those batches didn’t get as hot. I kept it insulated for about 12 hours and then let it cool in the mold for about 11 hours before cutting. Any thoughts on what this splotchy/marbled/giraffe look is?? Thanks!!
0yZ5KmMRf-26xV8o1RKh4-rzA
0YeuSlRp8y2rtIHBaZ2cIl0DA
0taOJwHKTLtMneCLu8HnD8PHQ

Grr. I’m posting from my phone. I’ll try to upload from my computer when I get back in the office.

As stated pictures not showing. However, it likely is. Making really large batches with milk the soap is going to heat pretty hot and it will cool very slowly. Overheating is very possible with large batches of milk soap due to the sugars.

Latest posts

Back