Do purple carrots keep their color in soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beans

Reaction score
MIY CARROT TISSUE OIL

1 cup grated carrots
2 cups high oleic sunflower oil

This stuff is so pricey online that it makes me feel like I'm getting away with highway robbery by making it myself. If you make it, keep the temp low, but be sure there's a bit of bubbling going on because you want all the water in the carrots to escape.

I wonder if purple carrots would stay purple?

I don`t really know, but because of the lye I really wouldn`t hold my breath on that one...

It probably will change into some sort of grey, or grey with a slight greenish tint. Lye will almost always turn natural colors into something else, like brown, grey or greenish hues. Exept alkanet root, that one will be a purple that is sort of tilting towards grey. But I have never used it myself.

HP for Me :)

Carrot (orange ones) and pumpkin seem to hold their colour - one of a few naturals that do. It is a darker colour if you steam the carrot and/or pumpkin and purée it by putting it through a sieve. Then put it back in the saucepan and reduce it till the water has gone. I add salt at this stage. Then I use 50% water to dissolve the lye and 50% carrot and/or pumpkin purée as the water substitute. If you use it straight away it is darker than if you refrigerate it and use it the next day.

The oil infusion above would add even more colour. Sounds good.

I remember someone on a different forum trying this and there was no purple at all by the end, in fact I think it was more orange than purple strangely enough.

I remember reading somewhere that all the novel colored veggies turn to their actual intended colors once cooked, like for example the purple carrots turn to orange and such. So most likely you are not going to see any purple in the finished soap. Wish coloring soaps natural was that easy!

I remember reading somewhere that all the novel colored veggies turn to their actual intended colors once cooked, like for example the purple carrots turn to orange and such. So most likely you are not going to see any purple in the finished soap. Wish coloring soaps natural was that easy!

I know, isn't is sad? I was so disappointed the first time I grew purple string beans and they turned green when I cooked them. They were more appealing to the eye raw in salad, though.

Carrot (orange ones) and pumpkin seem to hold their colour - one of a few naturals that do. It is a darker colour if you steam the carrot and/or pumpkin and purée it by putting it through a sieve. Then put it back in the saucepan and reduce it till the water has gone. I add salt at this stage. Then I use 50% water to dissolve the lye and 50% carrot and/or pumpkin purée as the water substitute. If you use it straight away it is darker than if you refrigerate it and use it the next day.

The oil infusion above would add even more colour. Sounds good.
What I posted was Carrot tissue oil where you actually infuse the oil. As for carrot puree it is much easier to use baby carrots. I really doubt the purple will stay purple and guarantee the lye will mess with it

Roasted purple carrots will remain very purple. Simmering in water I am not sure but a titch of vinegar may help them retain the color like it will with purple potatoes. The white carrots will stay white

What I posted was Carrot tissue oil where you actually infuse the oil. As for carrot puree it is much easier to use baby carrots. I really doubt the purple will stay purple and guarantee the lye will mess with it

Oh yes I understood that. I was just giving an alternative method incase it helped someone. I was using orange carrot not purple. My pumpkin puree/carrot puree/oil infused paprika soap is only a month old so I can't be sure it will stick yet but it looks as good as the first day so far.

I will try your infusion next time.

Such a pity to hear that another natural colourant (purple carrots) hits the dust.

Back