Do polysorbates inhibit lather?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carl

Reaction score
I'm making foamer bottles from my liquid soap.

I'm doing 37% liquid soap and 63% distilled H2O in my foamer bottle (works out to be 3 oz and 5 oz for total of 8 oz). I'm then adding fragrance or essentials at about 1-3% depending on which one I use. Some of them have started to separate. Others have not.

The ones that have separated, I started using an equal part of PS80 mixed with the scent.

But I noticed, the ones with the PS80, do not lather as well.

So

Do polysorbates inhibit lather in LS?

I don't notice any lather inhibition in my liquid soap with PS80, but then again, I don't use foamer bottles or dilute my soap any thinner than a honey-like consistency.

PS80 is actually a surfactant with lathering abilities, which I found out when making clear linen or perfume sprays out of FO, vodka and water, e.g.- some of my FO's in my sprays needed more PS80 in comparison to other in order to emulsify things and make a clear spray (as opposed to cloudy), and those particular sprays always suds up when sprayed or shaken.

IrishLass :)

I haven’t had any issues with PS80 and foamer bottles. I know there are some fragrances that can mess with consistency, maybe you have one of those. You could also adjust your ratio a bit, add more/less soap to see what happens

I've used straight PS80 on my hair and it lathers okay, but not as well as when I then added actual shampoo to my hair, so it's not as good a latherer as straight shampoo. But it supposed to enhance lather, so I am just not sure that it would inhibit it, but perhaps the proportions play a role in that.

So perhaps the proportions are what has lead to a reduction in lather. Maybe do as BattleGnome suggests and adjust your ratio & try less PS80 to see if it helps.

Do polysorbates inhibit lather in LS?
No. :shakinghead: It's more likely that the FO is causing the separation. Polysorbates are "solubizers", i.e., they are used to make oils water-soluble.

I generally use 1 tablespoon of PS-80 to 1 teaspoon of FO/EO per 16 oz. of foamer soap. It's best to add the PS-80 to some water first. Stir until clear. Then add the FO/EO and stir to be sure it's completely incorporated before adding to the rest of the foamer soap batch. All FOs/EOs are not alike, so you may have to play with it a bit to see what works.

ETA: Polysorbate 80 has been discussed here many times. If you search "Polysorbate 80" quite a few links pop up. Here's just one: Fun With Polysorbate 80

Last edited:
No. :shakinghead: It's more likely that the FO is causing the separation. Polysorbates are "solubizers", i.e., they are used to make oils water-soluble.

I generally use 1 tablespoon of PS-80 to 1 teaspoon of FO/EO per 16 oz. of foamer soap. It's best to add the PS-80 to some water first. Stir until clear. Then add the FO/EO and stir to be sure it's completely incorporated before adding to the rest of the foamer soap batch. All FOs/EOs are not alike, so you may have to play with it a bit to see what works.

ETA: Polysorbate 80 has been discussed here many times. If you search "Polysorbate 80" quite a few links pop up. Here's just one: Fun With Polysorbate 80
I just made some oil cleanser with it. :thumbs:

I accidently used Polysorbate 80 in my bar soap. I must say, that mistake lead to a superhard batch of soap. The lather was not lacking either.

No separation at all in this particular test. Lack of lather was the issue.

No separation at all in this particular test. Lack of lather was the issue.
Oh darn, I misunderstood... :oops: In any case, if you add a bit of Poly 80 to water and give it a good stir, it lathers, so I don't think it's the problem... although it is an unusual coincidence. Hmmm.

Back