Do I just replace water with beer for beer soap?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

twaburds

Reaction score
Hi!

I am looking to make some Guiness soap and just want to check that I can just replace some of my water, ml by ml for beer?

I know to let the beer go flat and I will be soaping at room temp and adding lye slowly.

I just want to check if I need to make adjustments to my water and lye ratio.

Thanks!

snappyllama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure, you can do a full water replacement. I like to freeze mine into cubes since the lye solution will get very hot and can volcano. I keep my container in a sink for safety also.

KristaY

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You really need to do more than just let the beer go flat. You also need to drive off the alcohol which is what will cause a volcano. I've had one lye volcano due to an ale I didn't simmer long enough. That was scary!

The ABV of Guinness is fairly low at about 4.3% (according to ratebeer.com) so it won't take a lot of work. Since the boiling point of ethanol is about 174 F (79 C) you need to simmer your beer at about that temp but don't bring it to a full, rolling boil. I do this by dumping a bottle or 2 into a saucepan and bring it up to temp on a medium heat. Once I'm at 180 F, I maintain that temp for about 15 min. (longer if the ABV is higher). Once it's cooled to room temp I put it in the fridge overnight. You can definitely freeze it if that's your preference.

I've found if I bring the beer to a full boil it scorches the grains a bit so the scent of the soap has a bit of a burned smell to it, which isn't very appealing to my nose.

I also recommend mixing your lye in a container much bigger than you need and putting it into a sink basin. If you do end up with a volcano it'll happen inside the sink instead of all over your countertop, onto the floor and onto your feet. Yep, that happened to me.... Luckily I always wear old tennis shoes when I soap so no foot damage!