Do FOs/EOs cut down lather from CP soaps?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ngian

Reaction score
Hello

I've have been using lately in my soaps mostly FOs and using them at 3%-5% of the total oils. I have also used a litte EO in a soap too.

From my almost early tests, I have a feeling that FOs do cut down from lather. You must give a little more effort to create lather in contrary with an unscented soap at around the same curing time. Is that true? Or is it may be for other reasons (additives, ect)?

And as far as I have read fragrance oils are chemical compounds that are diluted with a mineral/vegetable carrier oils so I suppose it is an extra oil that affects the total superfat, right?

On the other hand EO is the oil of a plant that contains the essence of the plant's fragrance. So it may be a different kind of oil that, in comparison to mineral/vegetable oils, might affect soap's lather differently, correct?

If anyone has more info/experience upon this matter I would be grateful.

Nikos

Last edited:
Hello

From my almost early tests, I have a feeling that FOs do cut down from lather. You must give a little more effort to create lather in contrary with an unscented soap at around the same curing time. Is that true? Or is it may be for other reasons (additives, ect)?

Hi Nikos! I can't speak for anyone else, but I've personally not experienced FOs cutting in on my lather. My bet would be on the additives and/or the superfat % level. The hardness/softness of the water one washes with can also be a factor as well.

And as far as I have read fragrance oils are chemical compounds that are diluted with a mineral/vegetable carrier oils so I suppose it is an extra oil that affects the total superfat, right?

On the other hand EO is the oil of a plant that contains the essence of the plant's fragrance. So it may be a different kind of oil that, in comparison to mineral/vegetable oils, might affect soap's lather differently, correct

This is something I confess to having no knowledge of, seeing as how the ingredients in FOs seem to be 'proprietary knowledge' known only to the FO manufacturers. Hopefully someone else 'in the know' will be able to chime in on that.

IrishLass :)

I've not noticed a difference in my soaps either. My scented and unscented lather the exact same with the same recipe.

Latest posts

Back