Do clay colorants reduce lather?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayJay

Reaction score
I am sorry if this question has been asked and answered a million times. I have found discussion of other properties of clay in soap, but not an answer on the lather question. My apologies.

Are there any clays that are more compatible with lather than others? I am thinking about getting purple clay from BB to color my lavender soap. But if it suppresses lather, then I will buy mica instead.

Thanks in advance for any help. ☺️

I use clays a lot, and haven't really noticed a reduction in lather. And my shaving soaps with bentonite clay certainly dont suffer lather deficiencies. So I would say no, lather should not be affected. Now, it does affect the texture of the soap, but in a good way I think. It makes them less slippery to hold, while adding a bit of glide to the washing experience. At least in my house with my soaps :)

I have used red and green clays in about 8 batches and I don't notice any decrease in lather. You can also use alkanet root 1t on water before adding lye. Gives a nice lavender color, just have to strain when pouring

I use rose kaolin and orange illite clays for colorant quite often and haven't noticed any problems with it reducing lather. As Seawolfe mentioned, the feeling of the lather does change a bit. I think it gives my soap perhaps a little creamier lather with more slip. I haven't tried the purple clay yet. I'd love to see pics of how the color turns out in your soap!

Back