DIY Vicks Vapor Rub

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier
Reaction score
HOMEMADE VAPOR RUB RECIPE
Source: Soap Deli News

Natural Breathe Easy essential oil blend

1 part lemon essential oil
1 part eucalyptus essential oil
2 parts peppermint essential oil
1 part rosemary essential oil

Vapor Rub

2 oz. beeswax pastilles
4 oz. carrier oil, i.e. sweet almond or fractionated coconut
3 mL Breathe Easy essential oil blend (or 0.1 oz.)
0.05 oz. menthol crystals (1.4 grams)

Using a digital scale, weigh out the beeswax. Place the beeswax in a double boiler and gently heat until melted.

While the beeswax melts, weigh out the carrier oil into a separate container. Weigh out the menthol crystals. Add to the carrier oil. Nuke to 100°F in the microwave at half power. Stir until the menthol crystals dissolve. TIP: To avoid tearing up that’s associated with melting menthol crystals, remove from heat when the contents reach 40°C (104°F).

Add the EO blend to the carrier oil and menthol mixture.

Once the beeswax has melted, remove from heat. Then stir in the carrier oil mixture and pour the into a 6 oz. glass jar or three 2 oz. glass jars. You can also use metal tins.

Allow the homemade vapor rub to cool completely, then screw on the lids and label as desired for personal use.

OPTIONAL SINUS RELIEF EO BLEND (Great for Shower Steamers too!)
56 grams Camphor, White EO
15 grams Eucalyptus EO
29 grams Menthol Crystals
100 grams TOTAL

Thanks for the recipe, Zany!

Another way to “melt” your menthol crystals is to soak them in your EO blend (or FO if you go that route). I put the EOs and menthol crystals in a repurposed jar or mason jar, close the lid tightly, and gently shake/ swirl it every so often. The crystals are usually fully melted within an hour, but it does vary depending on what EOs or FO I use.

I prefer this way bc I hate getting the smell in my microwave. Takes forever to get out! However, I did just get a dedicated soaping microwave, which means I can melt stuff like menthol without tasting it for weeks.

Another way to “melt” your menthol crystals is to soak them in your EO blend (or FO if you go that route)
Good point. Melting in EO/FOs is how I normally do it. I have a small coffee cup warmer I use to melt the crystals normally. Easy to keep an eye on it and make sure they're completely dissolved. I've never done it without adding a bit of heat. :rolleyes:

IMG_1696.jpg

@AliOop I picked up both the warmer and that enamel lined pot at a thrift shop... looooong time ago. Happy hunting!!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back