DIY Soap stamps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixiedragon

Reaction score
So, I got really excited about making my own soap stamps for a project. I've paid some wood carvers to carve an image into wood, and I was planning on pouring the epoxy resin into the impression...but now I don't know if the epoxy resin will release from the wood! HELP!

Maybe you could try on scrap wood to practice so your beautiful stamp won't be compromised. Maybe make a rough, simple carving to see how well it releases.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I just took a look at the directions for my EasyCast clear casting epoxy and although it doesn't mention whether or not wood can be used as a mold material, it does say said that wood pieces can be used for casting as long as they were pre-sealed with 2 coats of white craft glue or EasyCast, and then cured or completely dried before casting to prevent air escaping from the wood. Like LalaBanana said- give it a trial run on a simple carving first. Just make sure to seal the simple carving with 2 coats of craft glue and allow to completely dry before pouring the epoxy.

IrishLass :)

It wont come off the wood easily, if at all. Your best bet would be to use the soap carving method Kikajess mentioned.

I just took a look at the directions for my EasyCast clear casting epoxy and although it doesn't mention whether or not wood can be used as a mold material, it does say said that wood pieces can be used for casting as long as they were pre-sealed with 2 coats of white craft glue or EasyCast, and then cured or completely dried before casting to prevent air escaping from the wood. Like LalaBanana said- give it a trial run on a simple carving first. Just make sure to seal the simple carving with 2 coats of craft glue and allow to completely dry before pouring the epoxy.

Thanks so much for the info! What is craft glue, exactly?

I made my soap stamps by carving my image into an old bar of soap. Taping around the sides so there is a reservoir above the image, then pour the liquid resin onto the image in that reservoir area. Worked like a charm, came out of the soap pretty easily and what didn't I just washed off of the new stamp. Only drawback is that you may or may not me able to use the mold again.

Now if only I could get a professional image carved into the soap in the first place...

Thanks so much for the info! What is craft glue, exactly?

When I hear 'craft glue', I imagine something like Elmer's glue. There's also something called Wood Glue, which I imagine should work just as well if not better than craft glue (maybe?).

AKjulz said:
I made my soap stamps by carving my image into an old bar of soap. Taping around the sides so there is a reservoir above the image, then pour the liquid resin onto the image in that reservoir area. Worked like a charm, came out of the soap pretty easily and what didn't I just washed off of the new stamp. Only drawback is that you may or may not me able to use the mold again.

Now if only I could get a professional image carved into the soap in the first place...

I did the soap carving thing to make my own stamps, too. The process worked great, but my carving skills sure could have been better. lol Some of the letters on my stamps are a little higher and skinnier than others, which makes the stamp tricky to use at best. I'm now thinking of using this company to have one professionally made: https://lasercutz.co.uk/shop/soap_stamp

Auntie Clara, a soap maker from Cape Town, South Africa, made a lovely photo tutorial about how she made her own soap stamps. As with other stamps of this type, the master image is carved in soap, casting resin poured over it, the soap removed, and the stamp prepared for use, etc. It's just that her photos and descriptions are so very clear and understandable.

I wish the tutorial was on her website's blog, but I can only find it on the facebook page she has for her business. I don't think it is privacy restricted, so I hope y'all can see it. See: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.581228291892847.151296.153236471358700&type=1 Click on each image for more info about each step.

Latest posts

Back