DIY Purple Shampoo

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 48503

Reaction score
Hi folks, not sure exactly where to post this on the forum but taking a stab that this is the correct location.

My sons girlfriend uses "purple shampoo" to take the brassiness out of her blond hair but the store bought stuff has chemicals in it that have a negative affect on my ATU(aerobic treatment unit or septic in old speak) so I am looking to make an alternative. The DIY stuff i have found via google is all saying to buy "an inexpensive moisturizing shampoo and or conditioner " but I dont like to use shampoo/conditioner bought from the store for exactly the above reason (ie chemicals in the ATU) so i use a soap bar that conditions as well as cleans.

So, i was wondering if anyone out there can offer advice on how to come up with a natural purple shampoo?

Thanks in advance :)

The active ingredient in the purple shampoos is the dye D&C Violet 2. I am not sure if it would be suitable to use at the alkaline pH found in soap bars.

Also using a soap bar as shampoo may not be suitable for someone with chemically treated hair. Whilst some people can tolerate soap bars as shampoo they are not the best option for most people.

The Violet #2 is what you need to get the purple you are referring to. Sydnet is generally better for your hair than soap. Swift Crafty Monkey has a blog as well as several e-zines for formulating shampoos and conditioners that are pH balanced for your hair. I would suggest starting your research there :)

You can also try HumbleBee & Me. Not all of her recipes are great, but they will give you a good sense of the basics, and they are free.

Although I really like the recipes on SwiftyCraftyMonkey, the organization (lack thereof) on her her blog makes it very hard to find all the instructions you need, since you have to click from link to link to link. You also need to pay for at least the $1/mo subscription to get access to them. That's a super deal for the tons of information she provides, but again, it can be hard to wade through and figure out what exactly you need.

If you want to go the solid shampoo route, I love the syndet shampoo and condition bar recipes from DIY Bath & Body on Etsy.

If you want to go the solid shampoo route, I love the syndet shampoo and condition bar recipes from DIY Bath & Body on Etsy.

I can second that recommendation. I've been using her recipes for over two years now and my hair has never been healthier. There's also a great FB page for her recipes in case you need any kind of support.

Latest posts

Back