DIY Mini Immersion Blender using Acrylic Resin or Epoxy?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know there are a few people here who make acrylic resin crafts. I'm getting ready to make a DIY mini-immersion blender using one of the attachments to my electric milk frother, but I have a couple of questions first if anyone knows the answers. I'm hoping one of you crafty or scientific minded people might be able to help before I destroy an attachment that it seems I may not be able to replace.

I have this milk frother and I love it. It is powerful enough to do pretty much anything. The only problem is that it incorporates air, which I'm trying to prevent by adding a bell shape to cover the blade.

I thought about using half of a small stainless steel bath bomb mold. I would need to cut out holes/slits to allow the product to move freely inside the bell, maybe flatten the top a bit and then have my neighbor weld it to the attachment. But that would require a lot of sanding, cleaning etc. and I don't know if the weld compound would be toxic or not. So, sorta scrapped that idea.

Idea 2, and the one I'm stuck on currently, is the use some type of acrylic resin or epoxy over a mold to form the bell with the holes/slits. However, I don't know what I could use that would be strong enough. It would be great if whatever is used could also withstand lye, but that is more of a "would be nice to have" but not essential. I plan to use it more for emulsifying smallish batches of lotions, shampoos, etc.

Does anyone have any idea if this is possible and if possible, what type of resin or epoxy would work?

I can't help you with any resin questions, but as someone who would love to have a mini mixer like that I wouldn't do anything that might ruin it. Which attachment are you using - the whisk will add more bubbles than the flat blade.

I use the flat blade. I don't think it will actually ruin it to the point of no longer being usable. I think if it doesn't work I can use a Dremel tool and take it off. That's what actually finally helped make up my mind to go this direction.

I did buy some resin, but the one I bought says it only withstands temps of up to 110 degrees F. I need something that can handle a min of 180.

dea 2, and the one I'm stuck on currently, is the use some type of acrylic resin or epoxy over a mold to form the bell with the holes/slits. However, I don't know what I could use that would be strong enough. It would be great if whatever is used could also withstand lye, but that is more of a "would be nice to have" but not essential. I plan to use it more for emulsifying smallish batches of lotions, shampoos, etc.
Resin will not withstand lye - the lye will destroy it. I was wondering the same thing since I started making resin crafts a couple years ago. I tried making a small soap mold to use, and after 2 uses of putting soap batter in it, the mold was basically ruined, so IMO if you would to use it on making the batter it would probably be ruined much quicker.
I did buy some resin, but the one I bought says it only withstands temps of up to 110 degrees F. I need something that can handle a min of 180.
Try KS Resin if you still want to use a resin based product. All of their resin is heat resistant up to at least 375 degrees, some types higher, and if you are still located in CO, they are local. :) (no pick-up though. :( )

Resin will not withstand lye - the lye will destroy it. I was wondering the same thing since I started making resin crafts a couple years ago. I tried making a small soap mold to use, and after 2 uses of putting soap batter in it, the mold was basically ruined, so IMO if you would to use it on making the batter it would probably be ruined much quicker.
Oh wow, good to know. I wonder if there is something else out there that would work.
Try KS Resin if you still want to use a resin based product. All of their resin is heat resistant up to at least 375 degrees, some types higher, and if you are still located in CO, they are local. :) (no pick-up though. :( )
Oh nice! That would certainly do the trick. I will check it out. Too bad about no pick-up. lol :)

Too bad about no pick-up. lol :)
I know!! At first I just thought it was because of COVID protocols (I started resin in 2020) but 3 years later, and they still don't do pick-up. I think it's because sometimes they ship out of a different warehouse. But KS Resin is all I'll use. I've tried so many other resins, and I don't like any of them as well as KS.

I know!! At first I just thought it was because of COVID protocols (I started resin in 2020) but 3 years later, and they still don't do pick-up. I think it's because sometimes they ship out of a different warehouse. But KS Resin is all I'll use. I've tried so many other resins, and I don't like any of them as well as KS.

It looks like the perfect resin! I'll give it a try. Thanks!

I know this is a little off-topic, but I sure wish we could find a manufacturer that would make a true mini immersion blender. I'd prefer one that is corded, but battery operated would be fine, too. Holly of Kapia Mera soaps has a corded one that apparently isn't made any longer. Maybe I'll email BB and WSP to suggest that they offer this. It seems like the B&B community would be all over that!

I know this is a little off-topic, but I sure wish we could find a manufacturer that would make a true mini immersion blender. I'd prefer one that is corded, but battery operated would be fine, too. Holly of Kapia Mera soaps has a corded one that apparently isn't made any longer. Maybe I'll email BB and WSP to suggest that they offer this. It seems like the B&B community would be all over that!
Not off topic at all! It's the reason for the post. I've looked everywhere for a mini-immersion blender for a few years now. I'm finally at the point of trying to make my own. lol
Don't know if it will work, but I've decided it's finally worth a try.
I've emails a few companies that make immersion blenders, but no one has responded. Maybe if we all gang up on a few, we can get some traction. :)

Maybe some of the less popular brands would produce better results. I've tried Kitchen Aid, Braun, and Cuisinart.
Any ideas and who we can hit up?

Not off topic at all! It's the reason for the post. I've looked everywhere for a mini-immersion blender for a few years now. I'm finally at the point of trying to make my own. lol
Don't know if it will work, but I've decided it's finally worth a try.
I've emails a few companies that make immersion blenders, but no one has responded. Maybe if we all gang up on a few, we can get some traction. :)

Maybe some of the less popular brands would produce better results. I've tried Kitchen Aid, Braun, and Cuisinart.
Any ideas and who we can hit up?
I thought of that but then thought that the distributors such as WSP and BB are in a better position to lobby this issue. After all, they would be placing orders for 1000 or more units from these manufacturers, whereas we would be ordering one by one. So I think having a bunch of us lobby WSP, BB, and maybe even Nurture Soap to contact the manufacturers would be more effective. Does that make sense?

I thought of that but then thought that the distributors such as WSP and BB are in a better position to lobby this issue. After all, they would be placing orders for 1000 or more units from these manufacturers, whereas we would be ordering one by one. So I think having a bunch of us lobby WSP, BB, and maybe even Nurture Soap to contact the manufacturers would be more effective. Does that make sense?
Ah, yes it does make sense and they would certainly have a bit more pull.

Just bringing this one to life again. Has anyone ever come across a mini immersion blender?

Edit: Or anyone with a 3-D Printer able to create something with a bell similar to an actual immersion blender on a smaller scale?

I’m so glad you did! I’ve been going crazy trying to find one, and especially one that plugs-in versus batteries. I have this one and the end isn’t a whisk, which is fantastic- no added air, but I can’t find what that end is called or any options with this tip, let alone electric.
I got this one at a Meyer Cookware Outlet Sale, and when I went back last time, all the ends are whisks on the current ones 😥
IMG_5102.jpegIMG_5101.jpeg

I have one very similar to that as well. It isn't available anymore either. Did a bit more searching ... looking for anything that might work - mini paint stirrers, resin stirrers ... drill attachments ... anything. lol

I did just now find this and I'm really tempted to buy it just for the one milkshake attachment! lol
1705871486271.png

1705871395409.png

I have a badger hand held paint mixer. It isn't electric, but it works pretty well and has a flat blade.

Oh, nice! That looks like the same attachment I have on my hand-held milk frothier. Nice to know where I can get another if needed! :)

I just found this on the Hamilton Beach site. I'm ordering one now. I'm hoping it will fit into an electric screwdriver.

1705873072787.png

Edit: Ok, I lied. There is no way I'm paying 11.60 to ship that thing. I'll buy the other one ... sheesh.

Last edited:
I can’t find what that end is called
I think the flat plate with the wavy edge is called a dispersing disk. I have one of the much coveted corded/plug in electric drink mixer/mini blenders with the dispersing attachment, but the metal shaft of the attachment came loose from the plastic doohickey (looks like a cone) that connects it to the unit. I keep meaning to try gluing it together. I once read that immersion blenders work so well in soap making because they create shear In the batter, where one part of a mixture is forced to slide past another. I suppose this plate does the same, as opposed to those frother springy things that must cause a more random motion.

Last edited:
Just bringing this one to life again. Has anyone ever come across a mini immersion blender?

Edit: Or anyone with a 3-D Printer able to create something with a bell similar to an actual immersion blender on a smaller scale?
Doesn’t @glendam have a 3-D printer? I have no idea what their capabilities are.
@glendam do you know if it’s possible to make something like this with 3-D printer?

Latest posts

Back