Distilled Water

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only use distilled water. It's cheap, and I don't see any reason to take chances by using tap water. Maybe if distilled water were expensive, or a lot of trouble, I might try tap water, but I just don't trust my tap water.

I can't drink tap water - not anywhere. I have to drink the filtered water from the fridge. This filtered water is what I use in my soaps. I assume it removes these metal contaminants.

We know when it's time to change the filter - when I get day after day of unexplained stomach pains. Capilano water caused it, Alberta mountain water causes it and Australian water caused it. I haven't risked it in my soap but filtering it hasn't given me any problem so far. I was going to buy distilled last night anyway but when I saw how busy the supermarket was I just couldn't be bothered.

A high quality water filter won't produce water that is distilled quality, but it will remove some types of metals, and that is a big step in the right direction, Neve.

Read the box on the filter cartridges and see if it is NSA rated to remove lead (NSA rating is used for products sold in the US -- I don't know what the equivalent would be in other countries). I think Pur is one brand that is designed for that level of filtration.

Cool. We use the big ones in the fridge door. I do plan on buying distilled water this week because I am hoping it will prevent soda ash. My oldest bar is only four months no sign of DOS.

Back