Disposing of lye

Discussion in 'Lye-Based Soap Forum' started by kmkieva, May 18, 2019.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. May 18, 2019 #1

kmkieva

kmkieva

kmkieva

I have to dispose of "old" lye that has clumped together. I contacted my waste disposal company and they say they don't handle hazardous waste. I went to earth911.com and couldn't find a listing for "lye" or "sodium hydroxide." Can someone help me figure this out? I want to do the right thing by disposing of it properly, but I'm not sure how.

2. May 18, 2019 #2

dibbles

dibbles

dibbles

Supporting Member Supporting Member

Our county has a hazardous materials waste facility. If you have one near you, I would check there.

3. May 18, 2019 #3

kmkieva

kmkieva

kmkieva

Thanks. After much searching I found a "hazardous waste recycling" event at our local county fair in June.

dibbles likes this.
  4. May 18, 2019 #4

earlene

earlene

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper Lifetime Supporter

How much do you have? It is is not a huge amount (such as a 50 pound bucket), and you only have a little, you can use it to flush your drains if you have any slow moving drains are not on a septic system.

NaOH is the main or single ingredient in drain cleaners sold in many locations throughout the US.

LilBeachCottage likes this.
  5. May 18, 2019 #5

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

From this thread -- https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/using-old-lye.75039/#post-769498 -- it sounds like the OP has a fair bit and it's pretty lumpy. I get the impression it's going to be difficult to use it even for cleaning drains, if it's as hard and chunky as it sounds like it might be. I'm thinking the hazardous waste recycling option is going to be the best option.

RKrynicki, dibbles and shunt2011 like this.