Disposal

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uplandermom

Reaction score
How do you get rid of a bad batch? Can you pour it down the sink?

Do you toss everything out? (including the mold???)

Don't put it down the skin,

if anything bag it and put it in the trash,
but remove it from the mold and wash the mold up to use again.

but I think you should try and rebatch that batch.

and I also think you may have gotten some bad info from the class you took. Stick around. Google to learn more. Return here to ask questions and learn more. And try again. Don't give up, because I think you had some bad info which is why this batch didn't turn out well. (to much water way to much)

and maybe start out with a 1 pound batch. There are many things you can use as a mold that you have around the house. Right down to a simple box.

But don't give up yet.....

uplandermom said:
How do you get rid of a bad batch? Can you pour it down the sink?

Do you toss everything out? (including the mold???)

Most of the time, a "bad batch" can always be rebatched. If you must, just toss the whole thing away. The part about the mold sounds like something Smelli told me shew did once;
She just tossed the soap, mold, everything in the trash. I guess that is what keeps me in business! :lol: :lol:

Paul

I ALWAYS try to rebatch, even tho the re batch process frustrates me...I have never been able to melt my soap back down to the "gooey" stage...

I looked at your picture in the other post, and I would agree with Faithy that you had too much water. I good lye calc is your best friend. This is the one I use. http://brambleberry.com/lye_calc_1.php It is very simple...

Don't throw away your mold! Clean it the best you can and set it aside,and try smaller batches. There are a million things you can use as a mold.

Good luck!

NameThatCandy said:
Can anyone tell me how to rebatch? If the batch is bad, because too lye heavy, how rebatch can make the soaps usable?
thx

Don't know much about rebatching. But, when you rebatch because of lye-heaviness, you simply add the oils you missed when you started.

I would not give up and I too would try to rebatch. But, I would not recommend starting with a 1lb recipe because a recipe that size is so small that there is not much room for any error on your weight of your ingredients. And unless you are sure that your scale is spot on, a 1lb recipe can have the measurements off and you end up with a lye heavy soap or vice versa. Obviously you don't want to start with a large batch either so I'd recommend trying a 3lb recipe, 2lbs smallest.

CP is harsh on your pipes, that is why you don't want to pour it down the drain.

NameThatCandy said:
Can anyone tell me how to rebatch? If the batch is bad, because too lye heavy, how rebatch can make the soaps usable?

thx

In her other thread I explained how to rebatch........

If her recipe had been lye heavy I would have suggested to toss it out. But it was pretty close on the lye, but way to much liquid. So heating it to evaporate off the water may help. But it may take awhile due tot he large amount extra liquids.

It's worth trying to save rather than tossing out.

Back