Disorganized Craft Fair

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaitriBB

Reaction score
Hi all, I know the answer to this is "run far, far away" but I needed to vent.

I'm going to be doing my first craft fair/farmer's market on Sunday. It's at an indoor seasonal market that runs every Thursday, Saturday & Sunday. They just opened this market in the fall of 2012 so everything is super disorganized.

I originally volunteered at the help kiosk for the market and then reached out to the Admin Asst to inquire about vending. On Dec 10th she referred me to the website and encouraged me to apply. I did so, signing up for 1/20 and 2/10 dates.

On Dec 12th, the AA left me a voicemail that she'd received my application and was interested in my soaps since they don't currently have a soaper selling there. She said they had an opening that Thursday the 13th as they had someone drop out. I emailed her that I couldn't do it as I didn't have my product prepared yet. She said that was fine.

Fast forward to Dec 27th, in which time I haven't heard one word about whether or not my application to vend at the market was approved other than that communication from the AA. I emailed her to ask if she had an update. No response.

On Jan 7th I sent another email asking about the status of my application. No response from the AA, but I had copied the Director of Operations of the market on that email. She replied with, "She was schedule to attend the market as a guest merchant yesterday." I was all like "huh?" I emailed back saying "I was? I'm so sorry, I wasn't aware." To which she replied, "so sorry, you were not the intended recipient of the previous message. It was intended for my -co-worker concerning another merchant. If you would provide me with your business name I will be able to look you up in the system. Sorry for the confusion." Blarg.

I emailed her back my business name, and she then confirmed that I was set up for 1/20 and 2/10. Yay.

So I've been getting ready for the 1/20 date, and started to wonder, am I supposed to bring my own table? Where do I park? There's no info on their website. On the 14th, I emailed the DoO to ask if there was a vendor handbook and/or where should I park to unload, etc. No response.

Yesterday, I emailed the AA asking my questions. No response.

This is getting exceedingly frustrating. If I show up without a table, and I need one, I'll have to schlep home to get one. If I bring one, but don't need it, it could be stolen from my truck while I'm inside.

I'm going to try to call and see if I can get someone on the phone - they haven't ever answered whenever I've called, I get the machine.

This is a big fancy market and they're usually very friendly, this is just disorganized as all hell.

Yikes! Very odd that they don't have the info about tables, electricity, parking, etc. readily available. Any market/fair I've ever done has always given that info either before I've signed up or given it to me when I sent in my contract.

Thank you :) I'm excited and nervous! I've tested my Paypal swiper to make sure it works, gotten my displays all shiny, have my tablecloth and sign ready to go, have flyers and business cards ready. Just need to pack everything up and put some labels on a few more bars of soap, then I will be ready. If I make enough to cover the price of the table, I will be happy!

Good luck to you! Sorry everything sounds so crazy and disorganized. Awful for a first craft fair but you sound like you at least know what you're doing! Could you keep us posted? I'm hoping to get into a couple of craft shows this year and would love to learn how yours went!

Yes very choatic! I wish you the best of luck. I done craft shows but everything is outlined and a contract is signed and pages of information from setting up to parking and what is permitted to sell, this includes small church shows. Is there commitee or a org. That in charge of the event other than this person in charge? It is quite evident she does not know what is going on. Do the show for experience and check for church fairs, other shows designated to crafters.

The event seems to be over.. Did everything went smooth? Hope so. If not, I wonder if there is anywhere to make a report.

Latest posts

Back