Dishwashing soap a la Mike: recipe and good report

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vintageliving

Reaction score
I've been making Mike's recipe:

http://soapmakingforum.com/forum/viewto ... sc&start=0

and altered it for dishwashing soap.

Here is the recipe, amended for use for washing dishes by hand:

1 gallon heavy plastic or glass container with wide mouth
1/2 gallon cold water
2.25 ounces lye [sodium hydroxide]
1 lb lard, melted
1 cup sodium bicarbonate (baking soda)
Fragrance oil or essential oil of your choice (optional)
Hot water to fill the container

Add cold water to container. Add lye; stir well (this barely gets warm because lye is so diluted) Add lard, washing soda, borax, fragrance oil. Add hot water to finish filling the container and stir well with a wire whisk.

Whisk 3 times a day or so until set up. Initially, it will start with a glob of soap on top but will set up more each time you whisk it. After three [or more] days or so, you will be left with a nice, powdery liquid that you can use.

After it is set up, I just put the soap in a jar. I keep some in an open, plastic container on the back of the sink for daily use.

I find it cleans well, is thrifty, and, of course, it is always nice to make more soap!

Thought I'd post the good report, in case someone else is interested.

Hi, Tasha. :)

The soap cleans well, and leaves no soap residue. I use hot water for washing and rinsing.

Water hardness and temperature can require different proportions of ingredients in recipes. The proportions in Mike's recipe work well for the water in my area and the temperature of water I use.

If someone is interested in this recipe, it is of benefit to read Mike's original thread. He answers many questions.

Yes, the lye is sodium hydroxide. Will edit original post.

Mike's description "powdery" is merely to note that the consistency of the soap is not smooth and slick but has a bit of a grainy texture.

Please, everyone, do read Mike's original thread.

Latest posts

Back